Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NE North Carolina. Yesterday, I went past a field that had literally thousands of Snow Geese. How far south do these birds go?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
They used to migrate through West central Iowa 45 years ago the third week or so in October by the tens of thousands. Now this year I heard one flock and actually saw another. We now have scads of Canada geese here, but we can't shoot them because of a 30 square mile refuge that was set up years ago.

·
Well known trouble maker
2,867 Posts
It happens every year. Most of them are from Canada and the northern states here in the US. They drive motor coaches and pull campers.

Obviously the field you saw was actually a KOA campground.

Remember the new regulations for hunting them are more liberal then in years past. But you are still prohibited from hunting them in preserves such as Denny's, TGI Fridays, and IHOP's prior to 4:00 PM or the end of the dinner early bird specials.

And with all due respect to my canuck brethren here on the forum, it is rumored that the ones that migrate from the furthest northern regions are poor tippers.

Doc

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
toddietrich,

That is an insult to the carp. At least a carp is edible and provides fine tablefare. I know you guys up north turn your nose up at them but they are great eating!!

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
I believe that's the first time I've ever heard they were "great eating".

Please share your recipe wingmaster!

(Oh, now I get it. Your talking about carp!)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Deep fried carp sides.

Remove the scales.
Fillet the sides of the fish leaving the skin attached to the meat.
Turn fillet skin side down on cutting board.
Take a sharp knife and cut or score the meat about every 1/4" all the way to the skin being careful not to cut through the skin.
There is a wishbone shaped bone along the lateral line close to the skin that you will feel as you score the meat. Cutting the bone is the purpose of scoring.
Cut the fillet after scoring in to "bread-slice" size pieces.
Dredge in your favorite fish fry breading making sure to get some between the layers where you scored the meat.
Deep fry in hot oil as you would any other fish. Scoring the meat allows the hot oil to essentially cook away the bone.
drain and serve.

Carp and buffalo prepared this way is great for large fish fries and is boneless.
Try it before you knock it.

As far as snow geese are concerned, my buddies grind them up and make summer sausage that is quite good. They use the same recipe they use for venison sausage, just substitute the goose meat for deer meat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts