Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a search on the internet looking for all the American Olympic medal winners for 2016. There were two sites, out of maybe 10 or 12 that I checked, that had a brief mention of 19 year old Ginny Thrsher, winner in 10 meter Air Rifle and not even a single mention of Kim Rhode's achievments, except for one site. Believe it or not the only place I saw a mention of Kim was in Snopes. That article says that the media blackout of Rhodes win is FALSE. It even further goes on to use the write up to promote an anti-gun stance and "justifying" why the coverage was not as large as it deserved.

Isn't it funny that the only coverage was a posting trying to convince viewers that the blackout was not true???

Anyone who trys to tell you that Snopes is accurate and non-political is full of fecal matter. Want proof? Read the article for your self at:

http://www.snopes.com/kim-rhode-ignored/

Tell us what you think of the way this article tries to convince people that Kim Rhode was "not" ignored by the media!

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
It's comical when people, liberals mostly, try to use Snopes as an arbiter of what is factual and what is not. I think that's why Snopes was set up, to provide liberals with cover. Pretty easy to see through.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree that just because it's a fact checking site, doesn't mean it's always right. But I did read some of the articles that are mentioned in this specific piece. So to say that there was a media blackout does not seem completely accurate either. I don't know about every rifle and pistol event, but the shotgun events were televised and there were articles published. But Kim Rhode wasn't a big story in the Olympics like swimming and gymnastics were.

I do think it's possible that there is a stigma attached to the shooting sports and that may have played a part. However, that's not the only part.

There are plenty of sports in the world that subsist off participants, not spectators. Olympic weightlifting comes to mind. I was involved with that for many years and I think it's a great sport, but it's not that spectator friendly, though I would argue much more than rifle or pistol shooting, which even as a gun enthusiast, find completely unwatchable. I only like watching the shotgun events because I have some tie to it. If your sport is only watched by other participants, then it's foolish to expect much support from outside that community.

I think it's unlikely that shooting is going to get nearly as much press as the big headliner sports swimming, gymnastics, and track. So I don't really blame all of it on bias. My big take away is that you need to get as many people involved in not only gun ownership, but competition. Competition makes you better at the sport and generally makes you a better person and it seems to apply to all sports. What's different about shooting is that you can do it and even be competitive much longer than so many other sports. I don't see how you're going to make shooting sports more viewer friendly, you can really only hope to get more people involved.

·
Premium Member
18,233 Posts
They should treat all athletes the same. They worked, trained, sacrificed and earned a spot on the team to go to Brazil. Just because you use a shotgun to medal doesn't mean you should get less treatment than a shot putter, discus or javelin thrower. They can all kill you. NBC=National Barack Channel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts