Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying some snap caps for my shotguns. My old plastic ones are breaking up. Looking at aluminum ones from Cabellas. I have heard just using an empty shot shell may work just as well. Any advise?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have these and really like them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beretta-Shotgun-20-Gauge-Stainless-Snap-Caps-1-Pair-New-/360516765304?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D300577191334%26ps%3D54

They are a bit pricey, but are really well made.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought the snap caps with a spring may have an advantage. If not I can paint the kaboom blanks black to distinguish the difference for safety. .???

·
Registered
544 Posts
when i bought my wall chart from terry jordan he sent two home made caps with it. he cut 2 12 ga. down to half the the lenght and put clear silicone caulk on the primer. works slicker then snot. i also have 2 from cabelas.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,762 Posts
Terry Jordan's design works for me. Use brass hulls like STS etc, cut off to about 1", and after you squirt in the clear silicone, use a wad to act as a plunger to force some silicone out of the primer hole. Be sure to put some non-conductive oil/grease on the brass & chamber to avoid electrolysis corrosion between the snap cam & the chamber, especially in Brownings. ....ask how I know ;-)

best....mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would stick with a good quality aluminum cap. The benefit with this type of cap is the primer area is spring loaded and will protect your firing pin and also wont damage your chamber. I can't see how squirting some silicon in a hull and using that for a cap is going to protect your firing pin?

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,762 Posts
So far as firing pin protection with Terry's silicone silicone snap caps, the results speak volumes. Terry recommends, and has been using them for years and hundreds of thousands of times, as have many of his satisfied customers. For those who question the effectiveness of Terry's snap cap, I'll ask to see your data.

mike

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I expanded on Terry Jordan's Home Made Snap Caps, and bought a tube of Dow Corning #832 from Applied Industrial Technologies. This tube fits into a regular caulking gun and will do several hunderd shells.

DOW CORNING 832 Multi-Surface Adhesive & Sealant..about $8.50 or so a tube.

I cut several old shells to about 1" in length. Then spray painted the back sides florecent orange. After that dried, I shoved the end of the tube into the open end of the shell, filled the primer hole until the sealant came out, and trailed it off on the inside of the shell. 48 hours later I cut the tail outside the primer hole about 1/16" above the brass with a razor blade so the rubber would compress when the gun is closed. This rubber gives an approximate Durometer (hardness) reading of a pencil eraser.

I did several hundred a few years ago to use with the Terry Jordan Chart, and gave many to friends. I still kept several to use with my chart. I Load up my shell pouch with these and use the chart just as if real shooting.

For storing my guns, I like the ones Snap Caps with the little brush on them with some Rem-Oil sprayed on them....Store guns upside down in a cabinet so the oil in the barrel does not run down into the action or stock.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Shove an unused pencil eraser into the empty primer hole of a spent hull cut down to about an inch tall and fill the inside of the hull with RTV of some sort. Let it cure for a few days and trim the eraser so it's about 1/32" proud of the base.

Keller

·
Registered
931 Posts
We have a hole in the club room floor and one in the ceiling from "Snap Caps" not to mention some outpatient surgery.

Not allowed in side anymore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.