Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone recall who was selling the mop type snap caps on this site sometime back. I did a search and came up with nothing.

Thanks To All Who Replied'

Thanks & Good Shooting,

Johnny

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I wrongly gave Terry Jordan credit for the "wad poppers" but definitely know he gets credit for the best, coolest & cheapest snap caps you can get. Using one of your cut down hulls, pop the primer, squirt some RTV in it and using a wad to force some of the still soft RTV out of the primer hole, let it set up then, using a razor blade/knife cut the extending plug of RTV flush with the base, and you have a great snap cap. Thanks again, Terry, for a terrific idea.

best.... mike

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Motordoc was the person selling them, but no longer due to his friendr passing away where they were manufactured. They were the best cap out there with metal primer and spring behind it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I have a few sets left......

tony kennedy

·
Registered
313 Posts
It was Josh @ Mid Iowa machine. I'm not sure they're still in business. I bought a 12 and 28 ga set awhile ago and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Snap Caps 'Located Some

I have a set of home-made snap caps, but they are very nice.

They have a threaded hole where the primer is, and a piece of soft plastic inserted in the hole for the firing pin to strike,

If you look inside, the plastic has a screwdriver slot, and as the primer indents the plastic, just screw it out a bit, and trim off!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Snap Caps 'Located Some

Watch the snap caps you purchase. The Blue ones with spring loaded primer and bore mop the best, they fit and rim will not slide under ejector. Brought some on this site and the rim is smaller and body diameter is loose causing ejector jumping over rim. Its a bitch getting them out from under ejector. This happened on Kolar , Perazzi and Browning guns.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,661 Posts
Snap Caps 'Located Some

But if you feel you must release your springs:

At least one spring company out there says a spring under tension does not loose it's strength, but rather it is the cycling of a spring that causes wear. There is some physics to look at if you care to Google it, but I never found anything that I felt explained why to the layman.

The practical solution is to simply replace your springs every year or so depending on cycle count. They're cheap. And why wouldn't you want to keep your trigger lock time as close to the same value as possible from year to year. If you're serious about shooting just replace the springs.

I looked at my 870 trigger main spring and was surprised to find quite a bit of tension left on the spring even when the trigger is 'released'. Ha!

And you guys want to use a snap cap made from a real shell! You can't describe a safe use that I want to be around. I know of 2 accidents related to them. In one the shooter just got into the habit of pulling his trigger where he shouldn't. Then after a problem down in the trap house, he turned and released the tension in his springs while walking back from the line. Pow. Doesn't matter what you might say about intelligence. They have been proven unsafe in my experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts