Trapshooters Forum banner

Smoking Remington 1100 ??

1878 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ExFedex
At 80+ years I have dug out my 1100 trapgun again. Have noticed some smoke from ejection port after firing and the occasional flame over the years. I now also notice that the morning following a night shoot my eyes burn a bit and nose is plugged somewhat. Recently my son was shooting trap with me and commented that my gun really puts out a lot of smoke. I am shooting 7/8 oz.reloads using Promo powder. Have been shooting the gun "wet" with Rem Oil on magazine tube and gas chamber. Recent thread mentioned a dieseling effect in the gas chamber when "run wet". Both my 1100 guns are early flat rib guns with no barrel mods done at all. Is this perhaps a sign of a worn out gun and some kind of blow by?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Sky Buster
4,484 Posts
Switch to Breakfree CLP and don't leave the gas chamber wet. Magazine tube is fine. Some European shells have an acrid smoke. What ammunition are you using? I doubt your 1100 is worn out.
I had the same problem with one of my 1100 trap guns. I traced the problem to insufficient
crimp depth and to light a powder charge. Once I set the crimp to .55 and up'd the powder
charge .3 tenths of a grain the problem disappeared. See if it happens with factory loads.

· Registered
4,995 Posts
I had that problem also. I found the primer made a difference. I got more flame out of the ejection port with Euro primers, in particular Noblesport and Fiocchi. I was loading 1 ounce with Promo but now it is whatever I can find.

· Registered
33 Posts
I am doing some testing with Promo and different primers, although shooting an over/under. I will let you know if anything is relative to the situation, and what I can discover that might be useful. Shooting 7/8oz from STS hulls. I loaded some with Fiocchi primers and it seemed dirty with some unburned powder (loads are textbook loads from Alliant, except the primer).

Will offer info if anything useful.

· Registered
612 Posts
At 80+ years I have dug out my 1100 trapgun again. Have noticed some smoke from ejection port after firing and the occasional flame over the years. I now also notice that the morning following a night shoot my eyes burn a bit and nose is plugged somewhat. Recently my son was shooting trap with me and commented that my gun really puts out a lot of smoke. I am shooting 7/8 oz.reloads using Promo powder. Have been shooting the gun "wet" with Rem Oil on magazine tube and gas chamber. Recent thread mentioned a dieseling effect in the gas chamber when "run wet". Both my 1100 guns are early flat rib guns with no barrel mods done at all. Is this perhaps a sign of a worn out gun and some kind of blow by?
I would guess low pressure with 7/8 oz making for inefficiant burn and smoke.

· Premium Member
2,854 Posts
There’s nothing wrong with your 1100! It’s strictly a shell issue. As has been suggested, you’re getting an incomplete burn/combustion and as the shell ejects, powder grains are still burning as the bolts opens and these cause the “flame” that you see! If you ever shoot at night, under the lights, you’ll see lots of flash from any semi auto, not just 1100’s. It’s relatively harmless and is one of the reasons to wear quality shooting glasses.

· Registered
4,786 Posts
I agree these issues are shell related. That said, when I was shooting an 1100 a lot ( I kept a matched pair on hand in the event of a breakdown mid-match)
I ran them dry. Cleaned THOROUGHLY after EVERY use. I used 4/0 steel wool to polish the outside of the magazine tube and the inside ( contact) surfaces of the rings. My experience with well maintained 1100’s and quality ammunition, using both factory and my reloads has been excellent.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your input gentlemen. I tried my reloads in a break open gun last night and there was quite a bit of smoke and powder residue in the barrel. More residue in the shells using some vintage CCI 209 primers than shells with the most recent Win 209's. Shooters not familiar with the Winter time flames from the ejection port really get excited when the hull is still flaming while hanging in the shell catcher. In the past I have told them its a built in hand warmer from Remington. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.