Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How slow is too slow????
You can't say anything about a squad while they are shooting.
It's the extremely long breaks between boxes that I'm asking about.
Is there a solution for the squad that socializes for 10 minutes between each 25.
Henry

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
How slow is too slow????
You can't say anything about a squad while they are shooting.
It's the extremely long breaks between boxes that I'm asking about.
Is there a solution for the squad that socializes for 10 minutes between each 25.
Henry
Yes. There is. It’s called the harmony of the shoot.

·
Registered
706 Posts
10 minutes between rounds seems kind of excessive..... unless someone had what one would call a "bathroom emergency". If that was the case, I could see giving them some slack.

However, if it's 10 minutes between each trap for a 200 bird program that comes to a lot of down time between rounds thus slowing everyone down. Perhaps there is a diplomatic way to say to the squad leader that they have to pick up the pace and visit after the shoot? I'm sure we'll see some suggestions.......

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
LEAD THE SQUAD. When YOU get ready to shoot walk to the line. Stand there and look back. Call "Puller scorer ready?"in a loud voice. Won't be long before the hint is clear. You may be unpopular but it will get the job done.
Those who don't like it will not squad with you again.
As above mentioned, Do give an honest need a break.
Jim

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
I'm an "old guy," and I don't need 10 min. between 25's; I don't care how hot it is. I just grab my gun and state that no one else is going to shoot these for us and walk to my station.
Steve
How’d you do at the state shoot Steve? I looked for the Nebraska scores online but never found them.

Reactions: SEMO and Ram Rod

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just say “you guys ready to go?” and walk out to the line. It works if you are the squad leader or just on the squad. Some people are tooo slow and mess with the harmony of the shoot.

A couple squads of slow pokes can add hours to a shoot. That can add up to bucks for the shoot management keeping the trap help longer than necessary. I often see this with youth squads. A coach wants to talk to them too much between rounds.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
How’d you do at the state shoot Steve? I looked for the Nebraska scores online but never found them.
Flash, it wasn't as good as I had hoped for. I'd been shooting pretty good just prior to the State shoot, but you probably know all to well how that goes sometimes. I had just shot a 197 in singles at the NE Eastern Zone which won out of zone and the next week at our zone (Central ) I won the Hdc with a 97, the doubles with a 97 and class A HOA. None of those scores showed up at State, but I had a good time with some good friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. A good time with good friends beats good scores sometimes. Right?
Thanks for asking and you take care of yourself.
Steve

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,281 Posts
I've begun placing my bag at the second trap and then the last. Eliminates two moves and puts me in a different direction than the rest of the squad. I don't care much for conversation between boxes. I'm there to break every target, or at least one more than you.
But since I don't have much control over the rest of the squad I've developed a little different mental que that means it's time to focus...my earplugs. When it goes silent, it's time.

·
Registered
859 Posts
When I am squad leader after about 3 or 4 minutes between boxes I pick up my gun and say, well should we do this again, that usually gets everyone up and moving, I am squadded up this weekend for our provincials with a group that I have shot with before, everyone has a nice rhythm and doesn't like to sit around between boxes, it should be a really nice squad to shoot with, plus all but 1 of us can shoot all the events together, he has to move for handicap.

·
Registered
Perazzi TM1/Browning Citori XT
693 Posts
I empty my hulls out of my pouch, refresh my box holder with a fresh box, take a sip of my water and wait about 1 minute for the rest to do the same than say "well are we ready to get back at 'er?" whether I am leading or not...I don't like holding up the squad on deck and I like to keep it rolling as quick as possible. It helps to stay in the zone if you keep moving....I hadn't lead a squad in years and found myself leading a handicap squad at the SK provincials this year with 4 other long yardage shooters all very well known reputable shooters and SATA and CTA delegates. After our 100 was over three of the four offered up congratulations on doing a good job as squad captain and forming a good rhythm. It felt good to hear that from fellows with a whole lot more targets under their belts than I have.

·
Registered
288 Posts
One even better is the squad who stands on the range and bs's after they are finished. We had this happen this year. A group of older teens had a good day. They all had to congratulate each other, stand and bs, and then of course have squad pics made by all the family. I finally had enough after patiently waiting 10 minutes and was extremely hot (100 degree temps outside), so I told our squad come on let's go shoot. I think they got the hint when we grabbed our guns and started onto the range. I'm all about celebrating a good round, but when others are waiting to shoot be considerate of them and get off the range and celebrate somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts