Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give a rough idea or an around-about what a skid or flat of shot is in bags or pounds. Rough idea on cost savings by doing this. I realize it will be very costly but I'm thinking of possibly doing this. I know enough guys who shoot and reload that this skid could be split between us. I'm sure a few of you guys are going this route. Thanks, Spank.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Usually shot is packed in a half ton box of 40 bags stacked on a mini pallet. You might contact J&S Wholesale who advertises on this website. They have some bulk specials that include shipping to various states. Bob

·
Registered
730 Posts
I recently priced buying shot in "bulk", bagged or in a drum. If you can't pick up yourself, the freight charge eats up most of the savings. -Ed

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
It's been a while since I got shot from West Coast, but at that time, you had to buy a bunch of shot to save a couple of bucks a bag.

I think to get a break in the price she was talking 30000 pounds 15 ton.

Just my personal experience.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure where you guys are on this but, you get tired of getting gouged by the component situation and the retail shop prices on this bull$hi^ for reloading. I'm not in it for profit, I'd just like to see a dozen guys or so get caught a break on a bulk buy. I think I could divy 1 or 2 tons of shot between guys at a price break but not 30,000 pounds. I need to keep it real.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've bought lots of shot from two big distributors in the East during the past 5 years. I know from personal experience they won't budge on the price per bag, regardless of the number of tons you buy. Remember, it's heavy, and they still have to ship it, so they're not likely to cut you any slack for a ton, or even two tons.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last pallet I bought had 80 bags on it, 2000lbs.

The shipment coming next week will be pallet and a half, 120 bags.

My last full ton purchase got $1.00 off per bag. Next weeks purchase about half of that. It's certainly not much, but every little bit counts.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Purchasing lead shot has changed over the years, especially of late. 10 years ago I could buy 1/2 ton, whole ton or more and get a good break on price. In '09 I ended up purchasing 80 flats of Kent brand Velocity target shotshells, already loaded, with free shipping. That was when shells were still reasonable. Access to a forklift is essential.

I think, that if I was in the market for shot today, I'd investigate another Kent purchase again? Kent makes a very good shell in a lot of sizes and shapes. If your order was big enough they would even custom blend for you.

Kip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts