Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 102thousand registered and I don,t know how many practice sporting clays targets, I decided to have my browning xs citori w 32 inch barrels redone since It would open buy itself from time to time when shooting a heavy load in the top barrel. After talking to a lot of All Americans who used to shoot browning,s and calling all the usual gunsmiths IE. midwest, art,s, browning repair center and talking to those condescending people I called Dean Harris at skeet's. Well there Is still a gunsmith with the ability to talk with you not at you and take pride in not only his work but being just a nice friendly person.
well I got my gun back in 3 1/2 weeks went out and shot it I can,t tell you how happy I am It locks up like a bank vault better the when I first bought It ,now It,s time to see If I get another 100k or more out of It p.s. I almost forgot to say that I feel guilty at what I was charged for all the work he did I,m not sure how he make,s any money Jon SKEETS GUN SHOP
18818 so. 540 rd
Tahlequah Ok. 74474
918-456-4749

·
Registered
768 Posts
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1359.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq799%2Fpapcharlie2%2Fpaps%2520Movies%2FHsWhereisthat410_zpsb08a84f8.mp4">

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I agree 100%!!! Dean is a great guy and you can't beat the service or quality you get from him at Skeet's. I also doubt you will ever beat the price or the turnaround time.

A few years ago I took, (literally drove it there!,) an old 1976 Citori to Dean thinking I needed new springs. He did some magic with the locking block, and just like you read above, my gun now locks up like a bank vault! Thanks, again, Dean! Martinpicker

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Clayshooter100, did Dean have to build up any metal surfaces and recut them? I'm asking as I've heard of 'smiths that do that in some rebuilds. I have a friend that claims to have had a Special Sporting rebuild 3 times by Browning. From what I understand the Brownings usually start to blow open after about 125-140,000 rounds under normal conditions....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dean has done a couple of jobs for me...a set of double releases (great job on those) in my Browning Ultra XS sporting gun and a locking bolt job in my original 1978 Citori high-rib trap, again a very good job with the lever just the correct distance to the right and felt great even before firing it any number of times. Dean is from the old school, honest, straight out, and very reasonable for his work. I haven't ever met him in person but I know I wouldn't be surprised by what he's like. Not too many like him still doing work, but I think he's going to outlast me, and that's a good thing.

Larry in Redding, CA.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Dean has worked on many of my guns over the last 10 or 12 years and is a great guy and gunsmith. I enjoy getting a chance to talk with him when I have a problem with any of my guns which he fixes the "Old Fashion Way",sends an invoice with the gun for the amount of the work he did and that has always been reasonable.

He also likes motorcycles and we have some good discussions about Bultaco competition motorcycles, yes he is a rider and has some good bikes he rides off the road. He goes way back, knowing some of the Wild Bunch in California, when he lived there, which the Brando movie was made about. Dean's an all around good guy!
John Payne

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mdmike yes Dean did weld up the barrels and recut the grove,the weld was done with tool steel which will last alot longer. he also replaced the tab that the hammer piviot screw goes thru this piece cracked and was missing part he cut the old one off and made and welded it to the frame this is not a easy job it must be level and have the holes line up perfect no room for error

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Skeet's Gun Shop was started by Hal (Skeet) Sammons. Hal was a great guy to do business with and talented like Dean. Hal had bad arthritis and was forced to retire. But not before hiring Dean to keep up his reputation for expert work at reasonable prices. I'm not sure if Hal is still living but he was a pleasure to just visit with or do business with. Dean is certainly carrying on for Hal. One of them rebuilt a Browning Superposed and installed double releases for me several years ago. They installed double releases in the Browning I now use for doubles. I only changed guns so I could install a PFS stock. Fantastic work by a quality gun shop. Do business with them and you will not be disappointed. Jimmy Borum

·
Registered
578 Posts
When I working for Beretta USA I had Hal choke tube me a 302 Trap Barrel. I wanted Beretta USA to build one and they wouldn't, the suits said not good for business.

I shot the choked barrel 302 all year , broke 200's in singles and 100's in doubles with it, 99's in caps and every time a shooter asked me about it I gave them the phone number of the Sales Manager at Beretta USA and told them to order a barrel from them. Beretta got so many calls they changed their minds, but it took awhile.

Hal did a wonderful job, I think it was 1983, maybe 1984, he was a nice guy and good gunsmith. Leo and I shot a shoot in Tahlequah once. I think it was a car shoot.

Brad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was looking for a gunsmith for release/pull trigger on my Citori CXT. Had used an outfit in the east that did good work on my 725 O/U but wanted to try someone else. Then I remembered a Perazzi trigger group I once had that was done by Skeets that I really liked. So, after calling, off my gun went to Oklahoma. I am extremely pleased with the outcome and he now has in his shop my new BT-99 Plus converting it to a release. Always pleasant to deal with and Super reasonable pricing.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts