Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
1/4” Brass rods work great in the stock for counterweight. Easy to adjust and clean. Tape together or use bubble wrap and or cardboard to snug up. I’ve used his brass weights and they are slick
I used lead shot in a vacuum seal bag in the stock. Added and subtracted the amount of shot till I got the balance right. Not an original idea but works well.

· Registered
87 Posts
How do you determine when to add weight to the gun?
The 2 main reasons are for recoil reduction, or to smooth out your swing for crossers, which is more of a skeet/sporting clays thing rather than trap.

A less obvious reason is if you have 2 guns that don't weigh or swing the same, you may want to add weight to the lighter one to make them feel/handle/swing more nearly the same.

Many shooters do not like to add weight, because either it is more tiring to shoot, or for hunting you don't want to lug more weight around, or because they can come loose.

Personally I like to add weight for the reasons above, and I do recommend Skeet_man's weights, he does a good job on them.

· Registered
87 Posts
I also know some shooters who prefer lighter guns as they get older (the shooters, not the guns). Shotgunners down here in South FL in their late 60s or 70s and 80s generally (though not all) seem to prefer lighter weight shotguns for this reason. Some have had knees or shouders replaced (the shooters, not the guns), and they want to get the best possible mileage out of the replacements, or to prevent replacing the other one. Ymmv :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.