Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've only ever shoot two rounds of skeet in my life so please don't laugh if this is a very stupid question. But I have IC chokes through full and also two spreaders. Been shooting with the IC. Shot like a 15 my second round. Stick with the IC or try the spreaders. Or buy skeet chokes? Or Cylinder chokes? A guy I was shooting with had a Cylinder Helix in his Benelli Super Sport and he said he liked the choke. Thanks in advance guys.

Then a totally different question. Best chokes for 5 stand?

Thanks Trey

·
Registered
95 Posts
IC is just a little tighter than skeet chokes. I wouldn't use them for competition but should be OK for practice or just for fun. Plenty of 100 straights ran with a 410 in skeet.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
There is a reason they are called skeet chokes. For 5 Stand, choke for the furthest target. That will depend on how the course is set up. I shoot mostly LM.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so looks like I'm buying some skeet chokes. Does anyone know if Briley is still doing a buy one, get one? I know they do it down at the grand but have never seen anything for it online.

·
Registered
14,132 Posts
There won't be a hell of a lot of difference b/w spreader, skeet, or IC.

Rough numbers, you're basically talking a 32" pattern vs a 30" pattern vs a 28" pattern @ 20ish yards.

Since you already own the spreaders, I'd go with them for now.

I can GUARANTEE at this stage in the game, skeet chokes won't turn ANY targets you are missing now into hits. Spend the money you save on a flat or two of shells.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Skeet Man has it right. Most , if not all of the targets you`re missing with IC`s , you will probably miss with Skeet Chokes as well.
Regards , Pete

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I agree with Skeet Man. I suggest for now you put the IC in the bottom barrel; a Spreader in the top barrel.

Stations 1,2,6,7 shoot all out going targets with the IC bottom barrel and incomers with the top Spreader choke. Stations 3,4,5 shoot both targets with the bottom IC barrel. Station 8 all targets with the top barrel Spreader choke.

If you start getting serious about Skeet and start to compete get 2 Skeet chokes.

Personally, I would get a Cylinder and Skeet choke to round out the set.

For 5 Stand as a beginner I recommend you choke in between the close and far targets. But that would most likely mean IC/Skeet or Lt Mod/IC. As you get better tighten up.

Jason

·
Registered
647 Posts
You've gotten some good advice. I'd go with the spreader choke(s) for skeet. 5 stand is a bit different everywhere I've shot. Anything from IC to LM to Mod, depending. If I had to pick one and go with it, it would be LM.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
IC will break your targets unless you just have to have some skeet tubes, Keep shooting and ask about the fellow skeeters someone might even have some tubes to sell.

DGH

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 525 browning sporting. I use IC bottom SKEET top. Eyes aren't as good as used to be. High house on station 2 gets out there a ways before I pick it up, so tighter choke. Skeet choke for the second shot on doubles.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
sometimes having too many choices of chokes makes the game too confusing.
just slap in skeet and skeet (speaders) and go have fun.
remember, skeet is a 21yd game with a 30" swarm measured from the center of the field to all stations. if its a good skeet range, itll have a stake in the middle. just remember, hit it before it gets past the stake going away and hit it just after the stake as it comes towards you and youll be fine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been shooting my Blaser F3 Super Trap which I understand is not a skeet gun. It has a 32" barrel. The only other gun I have with me is my benelli sbe2 but thats my hunting gun. I've have to shoot some rounds with the spreaders and see how I like it.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I use my trap dbls. gun for skeet..33" with skeet chokes..It's all I have for skeet but it works very well...

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
If you plan to keep shooting a lot of skeet, and you want to get into it for a while??? By all means get a set of skeet chokes. Now if your just planning to shoot skeet a few times a month once and a while??? Shoot the chokes you have. IC bottom and Spreader on top is a good choice if your shooting true pairs on 1,2,6,and 7. Good Luck and have some fun. break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 46 Posts