Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Oh no! Kim didn't make the cut.

:(

Reactions: Grumpy one

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Would have been amazing to see her go to Tokyo. And, I would would not be surprised at all to see her make the 2024 team.....
(If they even have firearm events by then)

K

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
She's had a great career but maybe it was best for the sport that some of the other girls got a shot. I've watched her since 1996 when she was a teenager shooting skeet at the old Packmyer Club (later known as Triple B) in California. She would pull into the parking lot in her red Shelby Cobra. She was a terrific shooter then, and as nice a person as anyone could be. Her great 24 year still beats Tom Brady's.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So is that it? Just two men and two women, plus alternates? I didn't realize there were that few slots.
Maximum of 2 athletes per country per shooting event for Tokyo.

Athletes are only eligible if their country has secured quota places and if the individual athlete has shot an MQS (minimum qualifying score) at an approved ISSF competition. Each athlete may only secure one quota place, so a country can't use the same person to get a second quota place once they have secured a spot.

Quota spots need NOT be filled by the athlete who obtained them.

Quota spots may be "shared" within the shooting sports-so for example a pistol-won quota may be "given" to skeet.

Mixed pairs, being shot in trap for the first time, do not have a quota spot. If a country has secured a mens and a womens spot in the individual events, they can shoot the pairs. I think (not 100% sure) that each country can only enter one pair-anyone able to clarify this?

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Too bad . I remember how disappointed Susan Nattrass was when she missed making her country's Olympic Trap team by a single bird. It has to be heart breaking. I know Kim is disappointed . Kim has had a truly AMAZING run probably just about unequaled by an Olympic competitor ! I still think they did away with women's doubles Trap because of Kim's dominance of the sport. It's a shame she didn't make the cut for the team this time but ,I guess nobody stays on top forever ! She has been an amazing ambassador for the shooting sports and this country ! She is a great Person ,very humble and personable . We all wish her the best.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Too bad . I remember how disappointed Susan Nattrass was when she missed making her country's Olympic Trap team by a single bird. It has to be heart breaking.
Slide,

A similar thing happened to Jackie Stewart in 1960. He would have represented Great Britain in the 1960 Rome Olympics in the Olympic trap event. He was in the lead in the selection process going into the very last round. He became "First Reserve" behind Joe Wheater and Brett Huthart and didn't get to shoot in the Olympics. He gave up competitive shooting after that and took up motor racing full time winning three Formula 1 World Championships before he retired. I drive past his old BRM's team's HQ nearly every day.

Jackie Stewart - Wikipedia

Jim

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Haley has been Kim's back up for several years. She is absolutely world class, but Kim had the glitz.

Hate to see her not make the cut, but am glad Haley did.

Corey Cogdell did not make the cut either. Kaylee Browning's determination and sweat finally paid off, and she is in the race for Trap.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
7EA102A2-E2D1-44BB-A0BD-6C381E570067.jpeg

Austen Smith of Ft. Worth Texas.
The shooter who just dethroned a legend

Reactions: tomk2

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Not a well thought out system when the top women skeet shooter in the world is left out over one bad weekend. I predict no US women medals in the upcoming Olympics.
So you're saying that the person that breaks the most clays shouldn't represent the countries shooting team? Seems backwards.
I think Kim is awesome and would have loved to see her go to shoot in Toyko, but thankfully its not a popularity contest.
But it speaks volumes to to the depth of talent in the US that the top womens skeet and trap shooters in the world don't have to worry about other countries shooters as the best....but their very teammates! That's just amazing if you think about it for a minute.

And rather than offer up predictions of Team USA failing like you've done, I'd rather get behind the men and women that have climb to the top through determination and good old fashion hardwork. GO TEAM USA!

upload_2020-3-10_9-38-27.png

·
Registered
557 Posts
We have 5 women ranked in the top 13 in the world as of right now. That is simply amazing considering each country is only allowed 3 starts per ISSF Competition!

ISSF - International Shooting Sport Federation - issf-sports.org

Our Women's Skeet team is extremely deep. Not listed there are past World Champions Morgan Craft (2015) and Brandy Drodz (2014) who are not competing as of right now.

Jeffrey Holguin

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Jeff, good shooting btw! Was great to see you guys shoot the final with that tough light.

I meant to find you and ask, but what shooting glasses do you wear? It look like they fit pretty tightly (I assume for wind). I have a buddy that has very sensitive eye/wind issues and is struggling to find good glasses.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts