Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, don't chase me out of here for this; what is your opinion on the best skeet gun on a budget? I would like to stay away from the autos, (I hate to chase hulls), and I would like to spend under 1500. Fire away.

·
Registered
336 Posts
look for a nice clean browning citori or beretta 686/687. they both are good, strong, over/under shotguns. but under $1500 will be a test. John Ellis

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I found an older Citori Hunter with 30" barrels. It was choked Mod/Full. I had the barrels reamed out to Sk/Sk. I have well under $1000 in it. Mark

·
5,227 Posts
Vintage Superposed... however... there is a trend toward longer barrels... I use an older Superposed Broadway at 30"... great Skeet Gun..

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've had several Brownings ...in different barrel lengths. The XS's I have had were great guns...but I really didn't cotton to the trendy longer barrels. I kept a 30" XS 28 gauge Skeet gun...just because the limited run mine came from had beautiful wood...but I don't shoot it all that well.

I shot a 26" Browning years ago...and shot it well...and just recently let our range manager (a lady) have it. It is a perfect fit for her.

I'm 6'/200lbs/65 years old...My go to skeet gun is a 28" in every persuasion that I shoot best. I have a Special Skeet Edition w/a Briley Ultralite tube set and a Browning 4 bbl combo set that I changed the wood on to earlier wood w/o a palm swell. It is the sweetest set I have ever owned ...

The Browning 28" blued receiver '80's guns are a good place to start and end. You should find many in your price range.

Good luck...Stan

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
...one other thing. Off the shelf gun fitment is very important. Pick up a few till you find something that the sight picture and "feel" is good when you first pick it up.

It will still need fitting if you get serioius...but some guns just "never" feel right....or hit naturally.

Stan

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have a really nice 12ga Citori with skeet/skeet fixed chokes. 26" bbls with Briley tubes in 20, 28, and .410 with screw in chokes for each tube in skeet #3 and skeet #6. Comes with case, tools, and papers. Gun has been fired VERY LITTLE and could pass for new.

Price: $2000. If anyone is interested please send me a PM. It will be a couple of days before I can provide pics. Thanks, Marc

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I've been shooting a Win. 101 skeet for 30+ years. 26" and super reliable. Wish I had a set of 30 or 32" bbls. and a Monte Carlo buttstock for it and it would be a perfect dual purpose gun.

Ron Burr

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
Just a silly opinion, but a lot of guys have moved away from traditional skeet drops and into guns with more parallel drop dimensions. If you can mount it and not have to crawl it, sometimes it helps. I know one guy that shoots parallel only. :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm shooting a Browning white Lightning 12ga 28 bbls... I use it for skeet, 5 stand and trap doubles. I added a Beretta 1/4 cheek protector and a set of extended chokes, with the 3 inch chambers it's a great all around gun.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
A couple of months ago I purchased a browning citori 12 gauge with 28 inch barrels and full sets of purbaugh tubes in 20, 28 and .410 complete with case, everything is in great shape and shoots excellent. I picked it up for 1450.00 with shipping off gunbroker.com

Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone has called out the guns I had in mind. I was thinking a 101, citori of some breed, or 3200. What are you guys thinking on barrel length, and stock configuration. I am currently shooting an 1187 camo w/ 26" barrel. I like the gun and shoot well with it, but I hate chasing hulls, and the pants are pretty fancy at my club.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts