2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on CNN's webpage....

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14078739

Guy Babin

·
Registered
13,892 Posts
Sorry, but the media portrays any activity involving a shotgun and clay pigeons as "skeet". Skeet is shot on a "skeet field", not in the middle of a farmers field.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sounds like they were shooting targets in an open field, and not at a range...sad news no matter how it happened...LarryB

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Wonder why there isn't some sort of minimum common sense requirement for the media & politicians, would you hire people like these in your business???? No! I thought not, it's sure a shame that this country can't even get reasonably competent people in areas like this.. Ross Puls

·
Banned
203 Posts
The media probably got "skeet" from law enforcement who may have got it from those involved. Calling casual clays shooting skeet or trap is a pretty common mis-usage. I don't see any remarkable ignorance or evil intent in the article.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Makes you wonder if this was not a case of poor/unsafe gun handling. The other day at the club a new young shooter proceeded to load 5 shells into his pump gun after discovering that 5 shots were fired at east post. We quickly corrected him and informed him of the 1 shell per turn rule. .....Rick

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
When I see a "news" story so devoid of any pertinent information about how the "accident" occurred, things like who fired the shot, was it self-inflicted, what was the intended target, who were the other persons, what were these other person doing at the time, was alcohol involved, were drugs involved or anything at all that would provide the needed information, I have to suspect that there is more behind the story. Heck the story does not even mention the time the "accident" occurred. Was it 3:00 P.M. or 3:00 A.M. or what actual time it happened. Also missing is who is investigating the "accident" or virtually any detail a reasonably competent high school newspaper reporter would include.

There are "accidents" that upon investigation lead to negligence, murder or suicide being the actual cause. There simply are no details provided in the story to rule out any of these.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's possible that the news report gave all the details available at the time. It's also possible that a bunch of skeeters went out at night, taking drugs and drinking liquor, then ran out of "skeets" to shoot so started using each other for target practice. For sure there should be a ts.com investigation of this unfortunate incident. Perhaps Mark Schweike could lead the investigation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.