Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I usually only read posts on this forum, however with something that has recently happened I feel I need to tell my story. I have had an SKB 85TSS for a few years now, and for the most part, its been an excellent firearm. Sure, I have had to replace both trigger springs, but no big deal. Last night after 1 full round of trap I checked my choke tubes (I always do before I go out for another round) and my top and bottom barrel had split apart! The solder had failed and I could push the barrels apart easily by hand. I have had other failures with other firearms and I always contact the manufacturer first. I told them my issue and they told me they couldn't help me at all. I understand that this model has been out of production for a number of years, however what they continued to tell me blew me away. They said they don't even manufacture their own guns! They contract other manufacturers to do so. What does that say about a company? They just pick the cheapest contractor they can find and don't stand behind their products. This is an obvious manufacturing defect and a potential major safety hazard. I used to brag about shooting an SKB, but now after hearing that they won't even stand behind their product and do their customers right I won't recommend them to anybody. I would advise anyone who's considering buying one to stay as far away as they can.

Now that that's out of the way, does anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations to replace my old POS SKB?

·
Registered
16,138 Posts
Awesomeness. (First message)
Ne bekliyordun ki?
Hardly.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey everyone, I usually only read posts on this forum, however with something that has recently happened I feel I need to tell my story. I have had an SKB 85TSS for a few years now, and for the most part, its been an excellent firearm. Sure, I have had to replace both trigger springs, but no big deal. Last night after 1 full round of trap I checked my choke tubes (I always do before I go out for another round) and my top and bottom barrel had split apart! The solder had failed and I could push the barrels apart easily by hand. I have had other failures with other firearms and I always contact the manufacturer first. I told them my issue and they told me they couldn't help me at all. I understand that this model has been out of production for a number of years, however what they continued to tell me blew me away. They said they don't even manufacture their own guns! They contract other manufacturers to do so. What does that say about a company? They just pick the cheapest contractor they can find and don't stand behind their products. This is an obvious manufacturing defect and a potential major safety hazard. I used to brag about shooting an SKB, but now after hearing that they won't even stand behind their product and do their customers right I won't recommend them to anybody. I would advise anyone who's considering buying one to stay as far away as they can.

Now that that's out of the way, does anyone have any reasonably priced recommendations to replace my old POS SKB?
How old was the SKB85 tss? They [Japan made] Usually have an excellent reputation for quality and dependability.
You are aware that today's SKB is not the same company that made the shotguns in Japan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old was the SKB85 tss? They [Japan made] Usually have an excellent reputation for quality and dependability.
You are aware that today's SKB is not the same company that made the shotguns in Japan?
It is an older Japanese made gun. Like I said, I am not surprised that the model has been discontinued probably long ago. I am upset with their response and the situation as a whole. I would think a company would want to do the name proud and the customer right. They "only work on the mechanical components now".

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
and my top and bottom barrel had split apart! The solder had failed and I could push the barrels apart easily by hand.
Pay someone to have it resoldered, it's a pain but not really the end of the world. Very common double barrel repair.

I told them my issue and they told me they couldn't help me at all. I understand that this model has been out of production for a number of years
Japan SKBs have been discontinued for almost a decade.

They said they don't even manufacture their own guns!
Of course they don't manufacture their guns, they are just an importer, as Ithaca was before them. Know who else doesn't manufacture their own guns these days?: Browning, Weatherby (who I don't believe has ever manufactured any of the guns they marketed), Winchester, and those are just the ones I could think of quickly. And most of the others that do "manufacture" their own guns do so using a majority of outsourced parts. Guess what, many Sig parts come from Korea.

This is an obvious manufacturing defect and a potential major safety hazard.
Not really to the former, and no to the latter. Solder joints on double barrel guns fail all the time. It happens on Browning Superposed and Perazzis as well.

Sorry, but you have a gun which is no longer manufactured, has limited parts remaining, and was not sold to you with any sort of warranty that would cover issues 10+ years after the fact. Get it fixed and move on with life.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Japan produced SKB's were made up to 2010 - including all the 85TSS models like yours. It was after this, everything was sold to the American company that was importing them. They searched for a manufacturer to produce guns again and settled on 2 companies in Turkey, Akus and Akdas. Both factories are considered some of the best in Turkey. Both have reputations for quality materials and craftsmanship. To say they "picked the cheapest contractor they could find" is just ignorant of the truth. Specially since you have a factory SKB Japanese gun.

Interesting fact - the factory that made your barrel also sub-contracted to Miroku making Browning A5 barrels and also the Weatherby shotgun barrels.

Sorry you got a bad one - but to say all SKB's are junk is just small minded and not factually correct. If the barrel is not split I would think a decent barrel shop can solder it back up and rehab it.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Please share the name of an auto,appliance,electronics,or computer manufacturer that fixes their product after 10+ years of use so I can make a more informed purchase. I'm still po'd at Studeabaker for their lack of warranty service.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Disappointing , sure. But it’s long out of any warranty it might have had. Try getting a 10-15 year old car fixed under warranty.

The good news is it’s fixable by a competent gunsmith without needing any out-of -production parts.
So get it fixed and keep shooting or sell it cheap and the next guy can have it fixed.

Reality is nothing lasts forever and no manufacturer ‘owes’ you anything on long out of date product.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That’s what my grandpa taught me early on in shotgun sports. SKB=Should’ve known better. I’ve never owned one, but have handled the Japanese made ones. I thought personally they felt like a very solid, well made gun. I’m sure most of them probably are. As far as a replacement, I’d personally look at the Browning CX as an all around over under. If you want a more specialized gun, the cxt is geared for trap, and the CXS for skeet. I think those guns are the best deal going in an affordable over under, especially when they have applicable rebates. Best of luck to you!!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It is an older Japanese made gun. Like I said, I am not surprised that the model has been discontinued probably long ago. I am upset with their response and the situation as a whole. I would think a company would want to do the name proud and the customer right. They "only work on the mechanical components now".
I, too, am upset that my Packard isn't serviced under warranty. Someone should call a lawyer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s what my grandpa taught me early on in shotgun sports. SKB=Should’ve known better. I’ve never owned one, but have handled the Japanese made ones. I thought personally they felt like a very solid, well made gun. I’m sure most of them probably are. As far as a replacement, I’d personally look at the Browning CX as an all around over under. If you want a more specialized gun, the cxt is geared for trap, and the CXS for skeet. I think those guns are the best deal going in an affordable over under, especially when they have applicable rebates. Best of luck to you!!!
Thanks for the suggestion. That was one of the options I was considering. I am planning to get my SKB fixed, and then probably kick it down the road.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. That was one of the options I was considering. I am planning to get my SKB fixed, and then probably kick it down the road.
Be careful. It might make you mad. I had a CXS that had a trigger problem. Browning covered it same day under warranty (that is unwritten) and I was able to shoot that evening. Gave it to my FIL who shoots a few thousand rounds a year. No problems since.

Browning CX(S)(T) and Beretta 686 are the cheapest new guns I'd trust.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What do you expect? The current SKB did not build your gun and is not the same company as the old SKB. The current "Winchester" won't fix models made by the previous "Winchester" aka U.S. Repeating Arms Company. The real Winchester went out of business years ago. Look at all the crap products advertised on TV as being from Bell and Howell. Someone bought the name. The original American company went defunct years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Be careful. It might make you mad. I had a CXS that had a trigger problem. Browning covered it same day under warranty (that is unwritten) and I was able to shoot that evening. Gave it to my FIL who shoots a few thousand rounds a year. No problems since.

Browning CX(S)(T) and Beretta 686 are the cheapest new guns I'd trust.
Thanks for your input. Maybe its just me, I just figured I'd never have a major failure like that. I typically don't warranty things. I think trigger parts, etc. are a consumable and have never warrantied or tried to warranty anything like that.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for your input. Maybe its just me, I just figured I'd never have a major failure like that. I typically don't warranty things. I think trigger parts, etc. are a consumable and have never warrantied or tried to warranty anything like that.
This particular CXS was a lemon that needed extra finishing. I got the 1 in 1,000,000. Sh!t happens. If Browning thinks you effed something up, they won't warranty the gun. If it's on them, they will stand behind it.

Browning puts out many thousands a year and are great in the price point they are in.

I get the frustration. It happens. It doesn't happen all the time, but even Perazzis have loose ribs now and again. They are usually a $10k+ gun.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts