Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son has been shooting the O/U model for 3 years now. A combo was not available when we bought it. If there was any complaints, it was:
  1. The gun is too barrel heavy. balance point was several inches in front of the hinge.
  2. Comb posts were too short to allow a 100% high pattern if desired.
I fixed both those issues and thought I would share in case anyone else is interested.

First up was the comb height issue. My son is pretty tall 6' and has a long neck. He could not get the gun to pattern more than about 80% high before we ran out of comb height post. The original posts were 10mm OD, 20mm long, 5mm bore and countersunk on one end for a 5mm flat head socket screw that was 25mm long. I was not able to find replacement posts online. My local machine shop banged out a couple 30mm posts for $5 and eBay had the 35mm screws. Lots of adjustment available now.

Second was the weight issue. To get it to balance properly, we got a BreaKO mercury recoil reducer that would just slide into the LOP tube on the buttplate (7/8" diameter unit, tube was 22mm). There was no way to attach it so I centerpunched a mark on the tube then drilled and tapped the hole for 1/4-20. it only took one wrap of blue painters tape to make the mercury unit tight in the LOP tube. Blue loctite added to a 1/4-20 x 5/8" setscrew and I fastened it up tight. The balance point is just slightly behind the hinge now.

Hope this helps someone or contributes to the knowledge base.
Thanks.

Mike
Center hole is the one I added. I used a #7 drill bit and then 1/4-20 plug tap.
IMG_0261.JPG

Reducer that I used and setscrew started in the new hole.
IMG_0262.JPG

Completed job. I am pretty happy with the results.
IMG_0263.JPG
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top