Trapshooters Forum banner

SKB 85 TTR

1989 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  jimbo2
Have a friend who is selling SKB 85 TTR Combo. Japan made. 2600..00 Excellent shape with very low round count. Anybody see any issues with this gun?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,535 Posts
They are a very well made shotgun. Darn near as good as a Browning shotgun. Their used shotgun prices are much lower than a equal Browning shotgun though. Its their biggest downfall. I suggest you look at a current Blue Book of Gun Values and see what their worth. It might not hurt to get the SN of the shotgun and call SKB. See if the shotgun has any recalls or up-grades. Then see if the shotgun has had the up-grades? If not!!! how much the up-grades would cost you to have done. Then you'll have a better idea what the gun is worth, and how much to hold back if needed. For repairs. break em all Jeff

· Premium Member
795 Posts
Everyone will have their own opinion but I've owned both a browning and an SKB 85. Where I live 90% of the people I shoot with are browning people. I feel that the SKB is a better gun. I shot mine for 100k and had very few problems. The only up dates for it is some of the springs and parts have different metal. You just replace the old with the new when it comes time to do so. If it's as nice as you say he's asking about market value. Maybe high market but a lot of people love those 85s. They are built like a tank. Township Cheif should be along soon to chime in. He's had a few SKBs. SKB customer service is too notch as well

· Registered
1,276 Posts
I have an O/U 85 TSS and have shot it for over 7 years. As said the spring updates, etc. are easily done yourself. The small triangular fillet at the muzzle is missing on one side of my gun. I have seen one case of rib separation at the muzzle area on a club members 85 TSS and have heard of others. It was an expensive repair. Look in that area closely and give SKB of Omaha a call if you suspect anything. I like mine and its not for sale. For the price you mention I would expect the combo to have up graded wood. When I do my part its a target crunching monster at the 25 yard station even with 7/8 oz loads and a Trap Full choke.

· Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an O/U 85 TSS and have shot it for over 7 years. As said the spring updates, etc. are easily done yourself. The small triangular fillet at the muzzle is missing on one side of my gun. I have seen one case of rib separation at the muzzle area on a club members 85 TSS and have heard of others. It was an expensive repair. Look in that area closely and give SKB of Omaha a call if you suspect anything. I like mine and its not for sale. For the price you mention I would expect the combo to have up graded wood. When I do my part its a target crunching monster at the 25 yard station even with 7/8 oz loads and a Trap Full choke.
Thank you Sir. really appreciate your information. best, JIm

· Registered
299 Posts
Loved mine. It was an unsingle. Shot it for several years and sold it for what I paid for it. Never had a bit of problems with mine. I like them better than a Browning. Replaced it with a Remington 90t. Mostly because I like Remingtons. I shot the skb better.

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
I don’t think I have to say too much. Everyone else has said it all. Japanese SKB are great guns, especially the 85TTS - 85 TTR. Hammer springs are about the only thing you need to replace occasionally. As Exfedex said easy to change yourself. Parts plentiful from GU Omaha. They have one of the best locks made. Greener style lock up. Built like a tank. And a bird crunching machine. I’ve had several, and still have my 85TTS. Like others have said, I believe they’re as good as or better than a Browning and I’ve owned both. My Browning was a Citori Crossover. And also owned a BT99. I preferred my SKB CC7 combo’s unsingle 34” barrel over my 34” BT99. The price seems a bit high but you didn’t say if it was an unsingle or top single combo. And what kind of wood it has, and how many chokes came with it. By the way Briley makes all the SKB chokes.
Got any questions PM me.
Chief
Wood Office supplies Tints and shades Metal Eyewear

My Japanese SKB 85TTS

· Registered
136 Posts
......... but you didn’t say if it was an unsingle or top single combo ......
Chief
I didn't know you could get it in top single. I thought they were all unsingles. .... but I don't get out much. I've purchase 10 SKBs (585 20/12 combo, CG7, 85TTR and a few 85TSS's) in the last 8 or so years. I've sold 8 of them to junior shooters that I coach or their parents. I replace hammer springs when they break and they are all happy again. I've never had a bad experience with repairs at Guns Unlimited.

· Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t think I have to say too much. Everyone else has said it all. Japanese SKB are great guns, especially the 85TTS - 85 TTR. Hammer springs are about the only thing you need to replace occasionally. As Exfedex said easy to change yourself. Parts plentiful from GU Omaha. They have one of the best locks made. Greener style lock up. Built like a tank. And a bird crunching machine. I’ve had several, and still have my 85TTS. Like others have said, I believe they’re as good as or better than a Browning and I’ve owned both. My Browning was a Citori Crossover. And also owned a BT99. I preferred my SKB CC7 combo’s unsingle 34” barrel over my 34” BT99. The price seems a bit high but you didn’t say if it was an unsingle or top single combo. And what kind of wood it has, and how many chokes came with it. By the way Briley makes all the SKB chokes.
Got any questions PM me.
Chief
View attachment 1763174
My Japanese SKB 85TTS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.