Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing my first ata shoot at a local club which I am not a member of. I did visit recently and the people were friendly and inviting but unfortunately due to my work schedule and their shoot days, just doesn't make sense for 1 day per week.

I asked about the ata events and confirmed that I do not need to be a member in order to participate. The have a singles event coming up but I'd like to know more about the shoot before that day.

Do clubs come up with events and submit results to the ata? Does the ata have predefined events which the clubs follow? What can I expect for a singles marathon?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Per ATA rule, they have to let anyone shoot that is an ATA member. And everyone must pay the same entry fee (can't charge non-members a higher rate).

You do need to be an ATA member. You can join at the shoot, or join online at the ATA website (print out your confirmation so you have something to show when you register).

Scores will be submitted to the ATA. Clubs define what events they want to host, in this case it sounds like multiple singles events. For instance they might have a 500 singles marathon planned, in which case it would be 5 100 target events. You can shoot any/all, there is no requirement to shoot all of them.

They should have a program of some sort, posted on the bulletin board or printed out somewhere. Generally indicates what events are happening, what time it starts, and the entry fees. Other info about options and trophies will be included if they are offering any of that (or it could be "target-only" which means there are no trophies, it's just a way to increase your target count to satisfy requirements at some of the bigger shoots).

Give the club a call, I'm sure someone can give you the info you need.

Scott

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Almost guaranteed you will enjoy it!
You are where I was at a few years ago and it's been a fun ride since then.
Play the lewis class if they offer it. Gives you a chance for trinkets and such.
IMHO these events are a lot more fun than your regular practice shoots or leagues.
No survivors
Bill

·
Banned
818 Posts
You do not have to be a member of the club to participate but you do have to be a member of the ATA or PITA to shoot in a registered shoot at the club ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At my last visit they gave me the ata info which I filled out immediately when I got home. Received my welcome packet and eager to get started.

One range in my area hasn't gotten back to me regarding events at their location but will continue to scout other areas. I like the change of scenery as it adds a different level of complexity for me.

I recently shot my first straight 25 but still need more practice. as you all aware, time, money and family always add an obstacle. Looking into laser trainers to supplement my training at home.

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
Are you a member of your State's trap association?

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
I have been under the impression that if you are shooting registered targets in your home state, you must be a member of the State association. You might ask just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Not all states require membership in the association. Illinois does ($10 year, payable at the first shoot of the year). Some (most?) charge an additional state fee for each day/event. Illinois is $.01 per target, some states have a daily fee like the ATA.

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
No not as of yet. Figured I'd start with the ata, see how well I do. I'll look into it.

What are the benefits of state assoc. vs ata?

In states/provinces that require residents to pay to be a member in their respective association, you (if you're a resident) can't participate if your annual state/province association dues haven't been paid. Same as, for everybody, if your ATA dues haven't been paid yet you can't participate.

Non-residents do not pay state/province membership dues, but they would pay daily fees (both state/province and ATA and Zone (if applicable).)

And, as Scott wrote, not all states/provinces have association membership dues. Colorado does, Utah doesn't, and Nevada doesn't (for example.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts