Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a previous discussion you will see I am about to purchase a new Trap gun.
I shoot mostly singles but I have shot doubles and sporting clays with an 870 and an 1100

I am seriously looking at an over and under.

I have had advice that I should get an single barrel

Reason stated is that in Ohio the wind makes it harder to stay on target with an Over and Under
Good or bad advice?

It seems most of the men I shoot with have over and under guns
although one loves his BT-99

What are your thoughts

Single barrel or Over and under

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
I shoot mostly singles but I have shot doubles and sporting clays with an 870 and an 1100

Reason stated is that in Ohio the wind makes it harder to stay on target with an Over and Under
Good or bad advice?

What are your thoughts

O/U

That wind thing is another fictitious gunn club parking lot saga.

BTW I live in KS. You don't have wind.lol

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts

Good or bad advice?

What are your thoughts

Look at a Browning 725 Trap Combo. Best way to go.
Bt-99 nice but has limits .
Spend the cash one time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went from a combo (34" unsingle/32" O/U) to a 32" O/U. I have shot it exclusively the last four years. I no longer have to think about about the difference in the swing/feel/POI of two sets of barrels. I shoot the bottom barrel for singles, handicap and the first shot of doubles so the POI is always the same. Wind blowing the barrels may be a factor but nothing that concerns me. If you buy a single barrel it's only a matter of time before you go looking for an O/U to shoot doubles (the most fun of the trap disciplines). I recommend the O/U. Having said that, I'm sure the vast majority of All Americans would disagree.

·
Premium Member
BT99
143 Posts
I shoot my BT99 almost exclusively for trap, but as mentioned above, there comes the need to shoot doubles. I added a Browning Citori in 16 ga., and it does great on doubles (the gun, but not necessarily me). Also, as versatile as the other in the safe for skeet and sporties.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Go with an O/U or combo. I had this same though a few months ago and landed on a new Browning 725. Don’t limit yourself to a single barrel. I also live in southern Ohio and haven’t ever had an issue with wind.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
If you can't afford a Trap Combo set? I say buy a O/U shotgun first. Then in time when you save up enough cash once again. Then go out and buy yourself a Single Barrel Trap shotgun if you still want one at this time? You want a shotgun that can shoot all 3 games, if you can only afford one shotgun today. A O/U type shotgun fits this bill.

IMO, you should not buy a 30 inch O/U shotgun barrel. Unless you have serious lower back issues. If this is the case, you should not be looking at a O/U shotgun to start with. Buy a 32 inch barrel O/U shotgun. The lowest cost dependable O/U shotgun on the market today is Browning CX line of shotguns.

·
Registered
198 Posts
+1 on the Browning CXT with 32" barrels. I'd recommend buying one without the adjustable comb and having an aftermarket adjustable comb installed. An aftermarket adjustable LOP butt plate is a nice to have too. My youngest son (16) has shot a CXT with 32" barrels, adjustable comb and butt plate for a couple of years now and it has been a great gun for him. I have shot it at a few sporting clays stations with close crossers and didn't have any issues with the 32" barrels being too long or clumsy. (I'm 6'1" tall and my son is an inch or two taller than me.) In short, it's a great trap gun that works well enough for occasional sporting clays.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
I have the CXT with 32” barrels and it is an awesome gun. I put a PFS on it for all the extra adjustments to really dial everything in. You can’t go wrong with the CXT.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts

Good or bad advice?

What are your thoughts

Wow, so it looks like you pretty much are shooting several different games ... I too have tested the waters with skeet, sporting clays and doubles. But my game is Trap ... I'm still learning and have a ways to go to get to where I want to be., I love a single shot for trap period. I have shot many different guns the last 11\2 years, have settled on my 725 Combo for now. But I also purchased a 32" BT99 Max recently and love it. So I am covered for trap and doubles. I have tried the O\U in my combo set for skeet, not really working with the high rib. Sp I purchased the Citori CXS ... 30" barrel, it works great for skeet and with my trap chokes I easily shoot in the 20's at trap with it. To sum it up ... for me, .. I have 3 guns for shooting all the different games and feel more confident I have given myself the best chance to be the best shooter I can be. Oh ya, and I shot sporting clays for the second time yesterday with the CXS and shot 9 more birds than I did the 1st time, I need to work the CXS on the skeet field if I want to get better at sporting clays.

Now to really sum it up .... I don't know your budget or your favorite game. That will determine what gun or guns to get. If it's in the $2,000 range then I would seriously consider the CX gun, most likely the S model.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I shoot a CX. One reason I chose it was because the advertised 60/40 pattern percentage. I have only put a few shells on paper but they were definitely right at the 60/40%. That being said the CXT is supposed to be more of a 70/30 gun better suited as designed for trap.
I could be wrong but if you are looking for one gun to shoot all the clays games the CX with an adjustable comb maybe the best bet. I would think the adjustable combe could be raised to get very close to the 70/30% of the CXT , but could be lowered to get back to the 60/40% for sporting or even skeet.
In any case, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Great guns at a great value

1 - 20 of 35 Posts