Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trap newbie question, please be gentle. What is the benefit of having a dedicated single barrel for singles in a combo trap gun versus just using the O/U barrel? Thanks in advance.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,858 Posts
You'll get lots of different answers to this question. If you scroll to the bottom of this page under the heading "Recommended Reading", you'll see threads along the same subject for your viewing pleasure.

Different sight pictures in your peripheral. There is the argument that a single barrel has less surface area for a heavy cross wind to blow your gun off path. Try both and see which you shoot better. It's not a matter one being better than the other, just what is best for YOU!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I use both and shoot them about the same. Some days I shoot one of my SBTs better than one of my O/Us. Right fit that allows me to shoot where I'm looking, enough choke, right POI, and focus on the target when I pull the trigger are the factors that help me shoot 25s. If I preferred to have one trap gun, it would be an O/U.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I never saw a disadvantage of shooting a 32" O/U for all three events, didn't get a single barrel for it until about 2000. Scores didn't change much in singles or handicap. I don't think the same could be said with a 30", at least for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I gained a target (96.5 to 97.5) in singles after switching from a 32 inch double barrel to a 34 inch single barrel. The single barrel feels and swings better for me.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Honest question from a semi auto shooter thinking hard about getting an O/U....
For singles, which barrel do most generally shoot through on an O/U? Does one give a better "recoil advantage" over the other? Do you alternate them so you don't unevenly wear something over the other?
Tall

·
5,251 Posts
For singles, which barrel do most generally shoot through on an O/U? Does one give a better "recoil advantage" over the other? Do you alternate them so you don't unevenly wear something over the other?
Tall
Bottom barrel... less felt recoil and no switching... nothing to worry about wearing out...

Reactions: Tall Pine

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tall
I always shot the top barrel of my 725 because I broke targets better with it (mine didn't have an adjustable comb). I suppose the top barrel has more recoil, but not enough that it caused me any problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I shoot A Beretta 692 32 inch over and under x trap. I shoot it well but will drop a couple more clays in a heavy cross wind as it does move the gun around more, also the farther back I get on handicap I again long for a 34 inch single barrel for a little longer sighting plane. A combo is in my not to distant future, shoot what fits and what you can afford after a few thousand targets you can decide.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suggest you pattern both, I shot a Superposed my entire shooting life and used to alternate until I finally patterned it and learned the top barrel POI was higher than the lower. as far as recoil I prefer to shoot bottom barrel. YMMV

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the advantages of firing from the bottom barrel versus a top barrel is lowering the potential recoil impulse and or mass into your shoulder. Personally...I'm not anal enough to notice a difference between top and bottom barrel. The majority of people I shoot with shoot bottom barrel first, so that's what I stuck with. I feel as though it's largely personal preference that plays a role in what you choose to go with as a shooter. A top barrel on an O/U will be have largely similar to a single barrel setup unless you have a giant rib that helps to offset the bore axis lower than a typical top barrel setup.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
There is no difference that is why the guys that shoot for money use what they use...LOL.

Seriously...for a "club" shooter, it may not matter. Does it matter if you shoot 88's or 90's?

You are better off spending $$$$ to shoot more targets....until it matters. But since most top shooters use a single barrel for singles it must be because they have more money than brains, or it matters.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I like my Browning 725 unsingle because there is less in the way to block my view of the bird. I know some dont like not seeing the barrel. I just focus on the bird with the bead on the end of the rib following along naturally.

·
5,251 Posts
Just thinking... single barrels are typically longer than the double... can the additional length of sighting plane give an advantage?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I wonder what George Digweed would say ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts