Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi This fall I'm going to try trap shooting, I see a lot of used single barrel traps gun for sale online, of course there is Browning, then Charles Daly, Ithaca SKB, and one I never heard of Marocchi Frigon. My main concern is can parts be obtained for these guns I'm sure most have not been made for years. With the exception of Browning. thanks Bob

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
+1 for a BT-99. No matter how many trap guns I buy, sell, trade, the old BT-99 MAX stainless stays with me. It is about due for a rebuild.............

·
Registered
127 Posts
+1 for the Browning BT99

The BT is a great gun and built to last. Also if you can find a gently used one, you should be able to at least get your money back if you decide to give up the sport.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Have owned just about every single barrel type, can't beat the BT-99, take care of it and shoot the he** out of it till you know exactly what it does.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To answer your question... Browning, Ithaca, & SKB you can easily find parts for. Charles Daly is 50/50 & I'm not sure about Marocchi Frigon.

Handle & shoot as many guns as you can before committing to a single barrel; even try an unsingle, you might like it.

I started with a Beretta Mark II which was my late Grandfather's (& still shoot it occasionally), then went to a Beretta 686 unsingle (sold to a member on here)...all for Singles. Used a O/U Winchester 101 Diamond Grade Trap (also sold to a member on here) for Doubles.

Now I went to a semi-auto (A400 Xcel) for Singles & O/U for Doubles (Remington 3200 Trap Special).

If you ever think you'll want to shoot Doubles, choose an O/U or semi-auto unless you want to use 2 different guns like I do.

Happy Shooting!
-Larry, Founder
www.ClaysForACure.org
Clays for a Cure | Facebook

·
Registered
30 Posts
I ‘m shooting a Citori XT Combo as I thought I wanted to use the single barrel for singles. However I found I like the feel and swing of the 32" O/U barrel set much better than the 34" single, and my scores are higher with the O/U also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
+1 for a BT99, but I would also see if you can track down a Browning XT O/U so it will give you the opportunity to shoot doubles. I shot an O/U for several years before switching to a single barrel for singles and handicap this year.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
There are a lot of used SB Trap guns out there. My advice is stick with one that's been around for awhile such as the tried and true BT-99. It's a heck of a lot of gun for the money and we own one. Parts are plentiful and they are easy to work on. I would stay away from some others. Not because where they are made but parts AND service may be a factor . The Marocchi/ Frigon was imported by the late "Frency" Frigon of KS. Marocchi is an old family gun company that is little known in the US but "widely" known in Europe. It was a good gun but, with Frency gone now ,it might be a problem with repair and replacement parts (especially springs) . As far as SKB, I don't know much about the new ones bit, the OLD "Century Trap guns had hammer spring problems and I'm not sure about parts. The Charles Daley is a good copy of the BT-99 but I would go with the original if I were you. IMO stick with a name brand gun that service and parts are readily available for .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts