Simulator ? Good or bad? For the kids | Trap Shooters Forum

Simulator ? Good or bad? For the kids

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franksoutdoors, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Franksoutdoors

Franksoutdoors TS Member

Just wondering people's thoughts on simulators for new kid shooters. I'm a high school coach in Minnesota and I think it would be great to get kids shooting in the winter to get them ready for short season. Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

For me playing on a computer trapshooting simulator was not good.
    Apparently I see different leads on hard rights and lefts. I need to clear the target on rights and shoot at the lefts. Most likely I swing to the left faster.
    The simulator had the proper lead the same for rights and lefts. I got my first 100 straight on the simulator but messed up my real shooting.

But then it may just be me. Have them try it during the winter. But when summer comes and they actually shoot be aware if they are missing any angled bird consistently that they may be like me.

Jason

Candy B thanked this.
  3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It might help some but IMO there is no substitute for actually swing on, and firing at, a live target .

Mr. Pump Gun and entropy thanked this.
  4. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

It might be a good training aid for those who have never shot before-picking up the idea of leading a bird would be less expensive with lasers, but as slide action said, nothing is as good as doing it IRL.

slide action thanked this.
  5. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Very true, but when you live in northern mn knee deep snow and negative 20 degrees doesn't allow year round shooting unless you fly to a warmer climate.
    I have a dry fire in my basement, my kids shoot it a lot, builds stamina, improves gun mount, excellent eye exercise, and if there is any flinching going on you will see it 1st shot on the simulator because they will almost drop their gun. But I will say that if the proper time is not taken to get the proper pattern and measurement data for each shooter to install in the computer it is a total waste of time, also do the muzzle/laser alignment before shooting each session. If you treat it like a video game that is what you have, practice with a purpose! Anyway We love ours, and has improved our scores.

6. Franksoutdoors

Franksoutdoors TS Member

Thanks everyone, I would think the kids of this generation would love to play a laser game . And no doubt it will help with gun control and arm movements with building strength.

7. RJackson

RJackson TS Member

I help coach a youth team and have for several years. Our team purchased a dry fire system when they first started and have been very pleased with the results! The amount of training it gives to a new shooter is quite good as after every shot it will show exactly how you hit the bird or missed. Even our experienced kids like it to keep them in the swing of things through the winter. And often comment on how the true birds seem easier to them. We always stop dry fire as soon as we start practice on real traps unless we have a shooter that is new and having some stamina issues and wants to shoot more.

Franksoutdoors thanked this.
  8. Johnsonx

Johnsonx Member

Thinking about getting one for my daughter. The USA site says the most up to date is the version 4 but the other site says the version 5 is out now. Anyone know is the version 5 available in the US yet?

9. SDBigDog55

SDBigDog55 Well-Known Member

It is great for sholder mount and eye training, u can adjust the speed and height to match the natural birds but the real ones are the best.. if u shoot release trigger is is great on singles and HC but the doubles are hard to train the finger pull and release because of the micro switch is such a small movement. Nothing better in the dead of the winter when the wind is blowing and snow blowing. Personaly I think it helps me....

Johnsonx thanked this.
  10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think it’s a stupid idea. Work on getting kids outside and away from electronics...just for a little while in their day.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  11. Literalist

Literalist Well-Known Member

I agree with Tron. I can't speak for far-Northern Minnesota, but in my area, there's jackpot shooting every weekend in the winter. Minneapolis, Buffalo, Zimmerman, St. Cloud all host fun, affordable shoots (there may be others, too). Most are surprisingly well attended. And actually, throughout the winter, we have some pretty mild days here and there. Have the kids shoot a few of these and it isn't so long between the youth shooting seasons.

12. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Active Member

If you’re looking for a training tool, a cheaper way than lasers is Terry Jordan’s wall chart.

t jordan thanked this.
  13. SDBigDog55

SDBigDog55 Well-Known Member

NO shoots in SD after September so what do u do with your spare time when it is 20 deg's to improve your game? Go ice fishing???, folks need to try a Dry Fire system before they comment on the teaching that can be done with youth. First they aren't at home on a couch they would be at a club with folks that can help them learn. I see I'm talk to a brick wall but so be it............

Johnsonx, RJackson and charleyj10 thanked this.
  14. Gunner621

Gunner621 Member

No experience with any of these, but wondering if the Wall Chart is a real advantage over just having spots and/or cardboard taped on the wall, and do the static pictures tend to stop the swing when you get to the bird picture?

t jordan thanked this.
  15. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Active Member

The wall chart is a nice product. You can put up stickies, cardboard, etc on the wall and get the same results. Terry includes some documentation on how to use the chart which is very helpful.

The chart or other objects on the wall arent going to stop your swing. You control the gun and you will control the swing. IF you practice doing your mechanics right the wall chart will raise your scores with purposeful and consistent practice.

t jordan thanked this.
  16. jsraney

jsraney Well-Known Member

Well, I think they are a great tool. I bought the first and second model they came out with and found it helped my swing, especially follow through. It also makes it faster and easier to pick up the target quicker. I have to tell you it made me a very fast shooter. Some people don't think that's good, but I believe speed kills, and you don't have time to aim. At least in my case. However, saying that I'm a great one for training aids or gimmicks in some cases. I've also owned the Shotcam, Jordon's chart, Tachyon Gun Cam I've never used, and presently have the Garmin S1 system, which I think is the best all.

17. Gunner621

Gunner621 Member

I have watched the video on the Terry Jordon site and read his article and am a little confused. He and you both said it helps with follow through, but when I watch the video on the site, it appears the young shooter swings up to the picture of the bird and stops. Just how do you practice with this.

I should add, that I am looking at this as a tool for my 14 year old granddaughter, who is just getting started in trap. She lives a couple hours away from me and her parents are not trap shooters. Is the Chart a tool that a young shooter can benefit from, just using on their own, or do they need someone observing to critique? Also, what is the difference between using the Chart, and just taping some pieces of paper on the wall?

As a side note, is that a late 50's-early 60's Vette in the background. Assume yours? Looks like a sweet ride.

18. Gunner621

Gunner621 Member

I somehow missed and did not see your post till after I responded to jsraney. Guess I am dense on this, but having a hard time figuring out swinging on a static object, when you will be shooting a moving one, is a good thing. Assume you pull the trigger as you are swinging past or ? Where do you hold your eyes before you "call" for the bird; the same position that you would normally hold at the range, or on the bird you are going to shoot? Do you shoot a set order on the wall targets or pick them randomly just before you "shoot" or ? It seems that knowing in advance exactly where you are going to swing would not be a positive.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your patience.

19. Broncofan

Broncofan Well-Known Member

Look in the supporting vendor section for Terry Jordan. His contact info is listed there and you can call and talk to him. He is a very nice man to speak to on the phone and you can get your answers directly from the man. Better yet, here is his info:

upload_2020-7-30_12-52-47.png

t jordan and zxcvbnm thanked this.
  20. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm Active Member

DO THIS!

Some people don’t swing through the target as much as others. Some may be more of a short follow through.

There is a learning curve to using the chart and imagination of the movement of the target. It took me a few hundred rounds to figure it out well enough. Ran my first 100x100 a few weeks later with approximately 100 “shots” fired at the chart.

t jordan thanked this.