Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the Silver $, do they change banks for a 200 target singles championship event. Could be a pain going from the gun to the golf side,unless you get bank 6 on the golf side--then save your $$ & ammo.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
374 Posts
I will be making my first trip to the $ for the Spring Grand. What's up with bank 6. It's not the first time I have heard to stay away form it ~ Mich

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't worry about the banks, just bring a few friends to hold your gun and ammo.
A lot of traps don't have gun racks or benches.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What's up with bank 6.

This should get some fireworks started!!!!

Here's what I don't like.

The first trap, the one against the woods/cart path is canted to the right so as not to throw targets in the direction of the wood fence. Soft left target, Hard right. The right side of the field has a chain link fence running between it and the next field. Not to mention the Turkeys coming out of the woods and strutting on the Tee in front.

Second trap is OK, except for the chain link fence on the left side.

Third trap. Last year when I shot it was throwing all hard lefts. The pilgrims I shot with didn't notice it. After 2 posts I questioned the puller about it. He says its been doing it all morning, You're the first to complain! I said lets get it fixed. Squad hustler comes down and looks at it. Says it's oscillating, but does seem to be throwing a lot of lefts. Just tell me you don't know how to fix it. Asked to get the trap mechanic. No, can't bother him now. He's shooting. I was done .....

Fourth trap. Well, you're already toasted from shooting the first 3.

I have seen some big guns post some great scores shooting on bank six. I don't remember the year but watched Ricky Marshall have a 98 or 99 handicap. He missed a hard right on post 5. One of those mole cricket eating Ibis was walking around the side of the trap. I asked him about it. He said yeah, I should'a shot the bird...

That's the difference between a good shooter and a bad. The good ones aren't distracted. The bad are looking for excuses. It's a simple game. Just shoot the target.

I love the Silver Dollar! Broke some good scores down there. Great places to eat. Some good weather, some bad. Always look forward to it in March. Even if I am shooting bad.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Ask pipe layer (Terry)as he plans on shooting all his targets there this year. He thinks bank 6 is the greatest. I think bank 6 should be first preference so I have a better opportunity to shoot all the other banks. Ask Phil Kiner for his opinion too!!

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only bank that gave me trouble was bank 1, on the gun side--a few years ago I was 74/75 on the first 3 traps. then on last trap the motorcycle traffic on the road picked up and starting throwing targets, shot an 18 on the trap.

Phil Berkowitz

·
2,755 Posts
This year, at the Dixie, they are only using five banks, two of which are on the Golf Club side, where the infamous Bank 6 is located.

But, they simply moved Bank 4's first two traps to the left (west) and Bank 6's last two traps (where the fence is) to the right (east) so that they use only the eight traps in the center of the field.

While they are not using the traps near the fence at the Dixie, they have also come up with a unique way of dealing with the fence should they need to use Bank 6 at the Southern. They reconfigured the bothersome part of the fence so that it can simply be picked up and removed for the shoot, then replaced to restrain the evil golfers after the shoot!

As to gun racks/benches, the only place where they are not directly behind or just to the side of the trap is on the first trap of Bank 2, right outside the Gun Club's doors. On that trap, since the shooters are going right (west), they simply place their "stuff" on the racks and bench of the shelter on the right of that trap. When they go to the line, they just pick up their guns, shoot, then return to the shelter, get more ammo, and walk out to the second trap.

On the Golf Club side, there are some benches and racks (but not shelters as on the Gun Club side) between the traps so the shooters share them with shooters on an adjacent trap.

It is fairly cold (you folks from up north might call it cool, but it is cold to a Florida boy) and windy at times (the weather people call it "Breezy). but folks seem to be having a good time.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts