Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle door Material property Shotgun Automotive exterior
Need help, does anyone know if I can get this coated to match my silver Nitrate
K-80 Vintage Scroll? Not sure if it is possible to do it on a latch with gold broken target?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Does it not match already? It looks pretty close to me?

Krieghoff can nitride it but it will have to go back to DE for a few months. Is it a factory top latch? Call Don at Ottsville Monday and ask him. I wouldn’t let anyone else touch it due to the importance of the top latch with receiver wear....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it not match already? It looks pretty close to me?

Krieghoff can nitride it but it will have to go back to DE for a few months. Is it a factory top latch? Call Don at Ottsville Monday and ask him. I wouldn’t let anyone else touch it due to the importance of the top latch with receiver wear....
It is shiny and the receiver is Flat nitrate or dull if you know what I am trying to say. I just bought the gun and top latch separate, I am a K gun newbie and love it!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It is shiny and the receiver is Flat nitrate or dull if you know what I am trying to say. I just bought the gun and top latch separate, I am a K gun newbie and love it!
If it was not a factory engraved top latch you will want to have them check it out. I’m not a gunsmith but the top latch needs to be hardened properly or the gun will not wear properly leading to big issues. This can likely be corrected when nitrided. Please call Don Monday and discuss. @COshooter can likely give you solid advice as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it was not a factory engraved top latch you will want to have them check it out. I’m not a gunsmith but the top latch needs to be hardened properly or the gun will not wear properly leading to big issues. This can likely be corrected when nitrided. Please call Don Monday and discuss. @COshooter can likely give you solid advice as well.
that is also very solid advice
That part is critical in fitting

·
Vendor
265 Posts
The new top latch is nickel based on the color. While I am not an expert in the field of platings/coatings, my gut says that you can't simply put nitride on top of nickel.

As I understand it, nickel is applied by plating that essentially makes a thin layer on the steel, while nitride is a coating that actually bonds to the steel. In either case, the hardening would be done before the plating/coating, since neither requires high heat.

And last, as others said, this need to be properly fitted - especially since it appears to be a used latch to begin with.

610-847-5173, option 2, ask for Don at KI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.