Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, be gentle with me.

When I aim a pistol, or a rifle, I put the front post in the center of the notch, level across the top. If I shoot high, low, left or right I move the rear sight until I'm looking where the bullets are landing. Good so far?????

With a shotgun they talk about adjusting guns to shoot 50/50, 60/40 and so on. I'm guessing you raise, or lower, one end of the rib to change the poi (or is that point of aim). I'm aiming/pointing down the barrel so that I see nothing of the top of the rib/just the beads. Again, good so far?

Once I have the gun shooting where I'm looking I then want to adjust the comb so that I look down the rib as outlined above. However, I see post after post where they talk about an adjustable comb to adjust ones POI.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just not understanding those posts?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You POI is changed primarily by your comb height. You eye is essentially the rear sigh. Raising the comb, raises the poi. I’d say set your comb for poi first. Then adjust the rib to a comfortable sight picture for you. When your shooting a shotgun you should be looking at the target.....not the rib or the beads. Jmho

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm guessing you raise, or lower, one end of the rib to change the poi . . . However, I see post after post where they talk about an adjustable comb to adjust ones POI.
Not every shotgun has an adjustable rib.

Huge numbers of clay-target shotguns have an adjustable comb, but not an adjustable rib. With such a gun, you can raise or lower the adjustable comb (and therefore raise or lower your eye (i.e., the "rear sight") to create a higher or lower Vertical Point of Impact.

With a fixed rib . . . if your vertical eye position is currently low along the rib's surface, you can raise an adjustable comb to raise your POI . . . but of course, your eye position is now some distance above the rib's surface. There's nothing wrong/unusual about that. Many shooters do this.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Ok guys, be gentle with me. I will add my comments as you have several questions.

When I aim a pistol, or a rifle, I put the front post in the center of the notch, level across the top. If I shoot high, low, left or right I move the rear sight until I'm looking where the bullets are landing. Good so far????? In this case your eye is the rear site and you move it in the direction you wish to move the pattern. An adjustable comb allows you to move eye up or down, left or right and maintain a proper gun mount.

With a shotgun they talk about adjusting guns to shoot 50/50, 60/40 and so on. I'm guessing you raise, or lower, one end of the rib to change the poi (or is that point of aim). The Point of impact is changed by lowering the front of the rib or raising the comb. The effect is the same. I'm aiming/pointing down the barrel so that I see nothing of the top of the rib/just the beads. Again, good so far? Yes this is fine you are establishing the gun shots straight and either flat (50/50) or a bit higher with the beads lined up. From here you go shoot the gun if it is smashing clay great. If not you might try raising your POI.

Once I have the gun shooting where I'm looking I then want to adjust the comb so that I look down the rib as outlined above. No you don't need to change anything if you like the way the gun is shooting. Adjusting the comb at this point will change where the gun is shooting.
You do want to be able to mount the gun and see the same sight picture consistently. Some people like a figure 8 I don't mind some space between the beads.

However, I see post after post where they talk about an adjustable comb to adjust ones POI. If you want to adjust the point of impact you can raise your comb and see some rib. If you have an adjustable rib you can lower the front of the rib to make it shoot higher.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just not understanding those posts?
I am not sure you are doing anything wrong. I would set up a new gun to shoot flat and straight ie to the point of aim.
I then go and shoot targets with it. I might move the comb up between a 1/16th and 1/4 inch after shooting some targets and seeing how they break. I typically like a trap gun that shoots 5 or 6 inches high @ 40 yards. But that is a personal thing, some like them higher or lower.

If you are new to shooting make sure the gun shoots straight and flat.
As you get more experience you will likely want the gun shooting a bit higher.
How high will be up to you.

Its All Good
West

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I look at it this way (and I shot pistols at the top level down under for 20 years)

On pistols or rifles, the sights are integral-absolutely critical-to the aiming process.

On shotguns, the sights ( beads) are an adjunct to the aiming process (really, pointing, but don't get the pedants started).

I don't have a mid bead on my new gun. Don't need it.

Others like to check the bead/s as a reference, but once the pointing/aiming process has begun, the beads are of minimal relevance. At the point of the shot being taken, the beads are (or should be) incidental to the sight picture, whereas with a pistol or rifle, the target is (or should be) incidental to the sights (not discussing scopes here of course).

·
Premium Member
3,767 Posts
IMO - adjust the comb to deliver the POI you want. Then, if you have an adjustable rib, move it to give you the sight picture you are comfortable with or want. If you do not have an adjustable rib, do as Col Bat suggested --- just shoot it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'll give my take on it, and I'm sure there'll be those who may have a different view. POI is point of impact - POA is point of aim - they mean different things, but can be the same. I believe a lot of trap shooters like the gun to shoot a bit high because the targets are shot fairly fast and they're still raising. They don't want to block the bird out. So they're looking at the bird but the gun is shooting higher than they're looking. POI and POA are different. Raise your head and you've raised the POI, and you can then raise the back of the rib if you so desire to " look down it ". If your style of shooting is to "let the bird beat the barrel "- barrel behind the bird - and just swing through the bird, you won't notice so much, how high the gun shoots. It's more of a timing thing. So, your POI and POA can be the same thing - a flat shooting gun that shoots where you look. Or your POI could be 6", 12" or whatever above your POA, depending on what sight picture you want. Yes I know - you point a shotgun, not aim it, but there's still some kind of picture in your mind that tells you to pull the trigger. Once you have adjusted the comb so the gun shoots where you're looking, you could continue to adjust it so it's shooting higher than you're looking. When you're happy with there it's shooting, then you could adjust the rib to give you something that looks nice when you're looking down the barrel. Whew, I'm done, I think.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
You eye is the rear sight on a shotgun. The adjustable comb is the W&E for that rear sight. An adjustable rib is an elevation adjustment for the front sight. W&E is Windage and Elevation, Mrs. Langston, windage and elevation.

As noted, you don't 'aim' a shotgun like a rifle. Once you mount the gun and check that the bead are where you need them to be, forget them and move on to your soft focus.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One more thing to confuse yourself with. Fact, you can make all the necessary adjustments with the comb to make the gun shoot the way you prefer. All adjustable ribs are not built the same. So simply saying you adjust the rib after to get the picture you want in not necessarily so. Meaning, some ribs are completely suspended by the front and the back supports so in this case you would just move the back "nearest your eye" to get the "beads to stack" or what ever else you'd like to see. On the other hand several ribs pivot in the middle on a center support. Problem here is when you move the back of the rib up to close the gap on the space between the beads to make them stack, you are also moving the end of your rib "nearest the barrel end" down. Now you just changed the point of impact to shoot higher requiring you to then go back to the comb and lower it a bit to bring the POI back down. So if you have the type of rib that pivots in the middle consider it a work in progress of making minor adjustments to each in conjunction to get what you are searching for in both the POI and POA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts