Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Trap shooting and haven shot for 45 years ,a few years back I lost my right eye and was a right handed shooter now shooting left handed.I don't know is missing in my sight picture now .has anyone ever put a patch over non shooting eye to see if your sight picture changes because I am having one hell of a time hitting the bird and don't know why

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Phil Kiner has a great video about eye issues. It’s worth a look. It’s an uphill battle to switch from right to left shooting. I’m glad you are shooting. Stay with it, you’ll get better
John

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I am new to Trap shooting and haven shot for 45 years ,a few years back I lost my right eye and was a right handed shooter now shooting left handed.I don't know is missing in my sight picture now .has anyone ever put a patch over non shooting eye to see if your sight picture changes because I am having one hell of a time hitting the bird and don't know why
You lost your right eye, You haven't shot in 45 years.
You are trying to learn to shoot from your Left shoulder using your left eye.

Why would you need to cover the right eye if its gone?
If you still have the eye but vision is greatly diminished I would close it.
Or put in a black lense to block the eye.

Learning to shoot from the opposite shoulder is a big challenge.
Take your time, start with straight away targets and increase the difficulty as you get used to the set up.

You could also try an offset rib but it also comes with its own challenges.
I hope you persevere.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am a left handed shooter with right eye lens of shooting glasses blacked out. I also coach youth shooting and am rather strict with how I teach new shooters setup their body and mount their guns when learning. On occasion, I have shot guns set up for right handed shooters and shot them right handed with pretty good success, shutting the left eye while using the right. When I have shot right handed, I was very conscious of how I set up my body and mounted the gun just like I was starting anew, from a right handed position. Once I had my stance and the gun mounted I brought it to my hold point, moved my eyes to my focal point, relaxed my mind in order to focus on the target and called Pull. When the target came out of the house I moved the gun to the target and pulled the trigger (did not look back and try to aim the gun). As was mentioned above, I would start on straight away targets and progress from there as I became more comfortable with shooting from the opposite side.
Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Define loosing your right eye.

Seems more like you are having to relearning how to shoot left handed. Unless you still have some vision in your right dominate eye.

Jason

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You lost your right eye, You haven't shot in 45 years.
You are trying to learn to shoot from your Left shoulder using your left eye.

Why would you need to cover the right eye if its gone?
If you still have the eye but vision is greatly diminished I would close it.
Or put in a black lense to block the eye.

Learning to shoot from the opposite shoulder is a big challenge.
Take your time, start with straight away targets and increase the difficulty as you get used to the set up.

You could also try an offset rib but it also comes with its own challenges.
I hope you persevere.

Its All Good

West
I wanted to know what changes if the person has 2 good eyes if they covered the non shooting eye how would the sight picture change.because with one I can't tell.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Define loosing your right eye.

Seems more like you are having to relearning how to shoot left handed. Unless you still have some vision in your right dominate eye.

Jason
Yes I'm learning how to shoot again , now left handed and blind in one eye .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a left handed shooter with right eye lens of shooting glasses blacked out. I also coach youth shooting and am rather strict with how I teach new shooters setup their body and mount their guns when learning. On occasion, I have shot guns set up for right handed shooters and shot them right handed with pretty good success, shutting the left eye while using the right. When I have shot right handed, I was very conscious of how I set up my body and mounted the gun just like I was starting anew, from a right handed position. Once I had my stance and the gun mounted I brought it to my hold point, moved my eyes to my focal point, relaxed my mind in order to focus on the target and called Pull. When the target came out of the house I moved the gun to the target and pulled the trigger (did not look back and try to aim the gun). As was mentioned above, I would start on straight away targets and progress from there as I became more comfortable with shooting from the opposite side.
Hope this is helpful.
That sounds like what my problem is at the range there is one trap range that only straight away targets I have got to try that Thanks.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I wanted to know what changes if the person has 2 good eyes if they covered the non shooting eye how would the sight picture change.because with one I can't tell.
The barrel seems more prominent, the targets seem smaller, further away, and faster when I block my non shooting eye.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I loose about 1/4 of my peripheral vision and depth perception. When shooting a pre-mounted I have a blind spot under the barrel.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts