Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a sig sauer ,kimber or springfield 1911 45. Anyone have some useful info on these guns. Likes and dislikes? Will use it to target shoot or maybe carry if I get bord carrying the Glock 23 in 40 cal. I'm considering a 4 inch.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
As I've stated on your other post I am a big fan of the SIGs - don't think you'll ever go wrong there.

Springfield is 'up and coming' - I think they are finally doing justice to the pistol - the more I see them the more I like them.

As I also mentioned - look at the 'E' series by S&W.

I've become less and less a fan of Kimber. Originally these were as good as it got, but of late I just don't see the quality nor attention paid as one saw in their earlier guns. Kind of reminds me of the Datsun 'Z' cars - the early 240/260 were real road cars - what they make now - not.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I have no experience with any you mention in 4"; however, I do have a 5" Sig Tacops 1911 that came through the custom shop and was gunsmith fit. I like it very much and think it well worth the money. If you get a Sig, don't even consider the new "Traditional" 1911s. The slide to frame fit, etc. on those are terrible. Their standard 1911s, those with the slide shaped to look like a Sig slide are still good.

Forget about Kimbers unless you are willing to spend a lot of money. Even then, you could have a custom gun made for what you pay.

I don't own a Springfield, but several at the club just bough them. Their lower line stuff does not impress me, but their tricked out higher end does. Good fit, good feel and accurate.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I just bought a Sig 1911 ultra limited. I will never buy another Kimber after shooting the Sig. May sell my kimbers and buy more sig ultras. SWEET !!!!!!

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
The Springfield loaded models are a very good pistol and do not cost an arm and a leg. I do own a custom Gunsmith built 1911 competition pistol and the Stainless Springfield comes closer than you think it would, not in the looks but in the function. I have had my oldest Springfield for about 30 years, and it has lived through a lot of use, abuse, and me learning what to and what not to do in hot roding a pistol.

I have heard great things about the Kimbers and shot some of them, they seem pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
I have a couple of Para Ordnance SSP .45's NIB WITH CRIMSON TRACE laser in grip from factory.

TS.com special $925 delivered to your FFL! Match grade barrel and trigger. 2 mags.

Bob Schultz

[email protected] 828-693-3833

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know it wasn't a company on your short list, but Colt is turning out awfully nice product these days. They have decidedly put the "bad years" behind them. I recently purchased a Colt series 70 Wiley Clapp and It is a very nice pistol; much better machining, fitting, accuracy, and finish than my Springfield. Hard to go wrong with any of the brands you listed. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have had all 3 of these brands recently and the following has been my experience:

Kimber: Functions flawlessly. Best shooter and trigger of the 3. Hate the fact that a premium pistol comes with a plastic hammer spring housing though.

SIG: Like styling options and features. Good value, many come with night sights. Good trigger, similar to Kimber. Not sure about quality though; one will not slide lock with factory mags (OK with Kimber mags????). The other came with a broken ambi safety and still trying to get that fixed after 2 attempts. The second one will not feed first round from full mag with some HP bullets and it will drop the hammer if you sharply release the slide without a mag (not sure that one is a big problem but unusual. If you get one, would highly recommend the steel frame with the rounded grip...feels great.

Springfield: Nice styling and finish similar to SIG. Didn't like the mechanical trigger lock built into the hammer spring housing. Generally a good value but had worst trigger of the 3 with a longer rough feeling pull. Did not like the fact that some of their pistols and frames are made in Brazil.

Good luck with your selection,

Scott

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I sold all 3 brands when I had my shop. However, Para and now Springfield who makes the model TRP is what I consider the best bang for the buck. Next would be the Springfield Loaded 45acp. Whatever 45 you buy, make sure it's at least a 4 inch barrel. I've had real bad luck with smaller ones especially Kimbers. Those small guns just aren't made to shoot those big bullets!

blade819

·
Registered
630 Posts
Take a look at the web site above. You can have one built to your spec. Or at least call the man and tell him what you are looking for.Nice guy to talk with and very well made guns.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I own both a sig and Kimber and they are both real good. I shoot both equally good. Flip a coin and the winner is. Sig only cause they have a better warranty than Kimber.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
My experiences with the Springfield loaded 9mm would indicate their .45 should be exceptional.

·
Sky Buster
4,029 Posts
I second the S&W "E" series 1911. Excellant quality and the
best warranty in the business. I second the comments on the
Kimber plastic mainspring housing. Junk!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reading the responses, looks like all three are good. I haven't had a Sig .45 but I have shot a Springfield. It seemed to have less precise tolerances, but quite accurate - I agree with those who say it's a lot of gun for the money. LOVE the Kimbers. I only have one now but have had five. (Had to sell some handguns to afford my K80 shotgun) I have found Kimbers to be very consistent, especially the triggers. Every one I've ever picked up has had the same crisp, consistent trigger pull. Tried a Les Baer once and it wasn't as accurate and trigger not as good as Kimber - sold it right away. The one I have now is a Ultra CDP II, (3") amazingly accurate for a 3" barrel, I don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
For a Range Gun, get the 1911. (A Springfield with a $100 trigger job will be a better gun than the Kimber, for less money).

Carry gun...get the Sig.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts