Trapshooters Forum banner

Side by Side Trigger

1506 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  DagSwane
I won an old Spanish SxS in an auction. I tore down the triggers and found this:

The gun would sometimes double Fire, not Fire a barrel, left I believe, or only Fire after depressing the trigger multiple times. I live in northern IL, and I’m looking for options on where to send this in for possible work, if it’s worth it ($150 or under is my guess). Any information on possible places to contact for trigger work are appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
15,945 Posts
That part looks to be brass - I suspect it was replaced once already... I've never seen brass used in a trigger group like that.

Any decent gunsmith should be able to duplicate that in steel...

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll call a few places and talk to some machine shops around here. If it’s a DIY, what type of metal does everyone recommend? Stainless steel, or something a bit softer?

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I’ll call a few places and talk to some machine shops around here. If it’s a DIY, what type of metal does everyone recommend? Stainless steel, or something a bit softer?

Straight oil hardening.

· Registered
868 Posts
If the trigger mechanism looks like that what do the bores look like? Metallurgy on those early Spanish guns was questionable, soft steel. Like someone said, good gun to learn on and walk hanger. Be careful with that one.

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
The part you would need made / duplicated looks similar to this picture.

I'm changing my opinion & believe it could be a brass casting. You can see this is not just a flat bar but the entire right trigger.
Is the part magnetic? If not its most likely brass. The dowel pins look more like old nails rather than dowel pins, not even round.
If your looking for a DIY project silver solder the crack & hang it on wall. Chances are it was the marvelous machining of the pins & or bad casting that caused the failure in the first place.

· Registered
6,616 Posts
They were the TriStars of their day.
They pretty much make the tristars look like Perazzi in a quality comparison.

Yet all the SXS purists have to have a Spanish SXS. There may be great Spanish double barrels out there. But you cannot prove by any gunsmith that has ever worked on those things.

When a Spanish shotgun stops working make it into wall art. That is the best and most often given advice. For the money in repairs to get one through an active day of bird hunting buying a brand new Perazzi would be saving money big time.

Al

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
They pretty much make the tristars look like Perazzi in a quality comparison.

Yet all the SXS purists have to have a Spanish SXS. There may be great Spanish double barrels out there. But you cannot prove by any gunsmith that has ever worked on those things.

When a Spanish shotgun stops working make it into wall art. That is the best and most often given advice. For the money in repairs to get one through an active day of bird hunting buying a brand new Perazzi would be saving money big time.

Al
Au Contraire!
My Basque made AYA 56 20g is a marvelous gun, light in the field & quite deadly on our feathered friends.
The 56 has a reinforced receiver (wider) for competition. Wonderful locks & easily accessible firing pins should one break either on the line or afield.
Like any manufacturers guns from makers abroad quality varies. Then there a those like this subject gun that appears to be fashioned from abandoned BBQ parts.

AYA Locks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.