Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If anyone is interested, one of the old-time members at Pocatello was thinking of selling his Winchester 21 Trap model last summer. I could probably find out whether he still has it and get contact information.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I shoot one for doubles about once a month. Nice sighting plane looking down
those barrels. Like they say its twice the fun! If you have one, take it to the club and shoot a round.
Sportalluring

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I shot my Winchester 21 for practice a few times....it was a field grade single trigger gun and was choked M-F and would smoke targets...but it was light and was a bit of a kicker. I'd love the opportunity to shoot a Grand American...what a hoot that would be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I shoot a LC Smith some for trap, actually the only 25 ever, the first time I shot it. Only problem is it kicks like a mule.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I shoot a LC Smith some for trap, actually the only 25 ever, the first time I shot it. Only problem is it kicks like a mule.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Duster,

The side by side works very well for trap, but it disappeared from serious work because it really isn't competitive in the upper echelons of trapshooting. For people like me at my skill level, I doubt there is any difference. The last time I tried the Win. M21 Field (M&F), our side by side club was having a postal match with a club in Ohio. We lost. But, I did manage to break my 50. I have used the same gun on doubles a time or two and broke a 95 with it. So, a side by side will work at trap.

Johnpe

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
Usually they shoot too flat. Barrel regulation (at what distance the barrels converge or cross their POI) is sometimes a problem on handicap yardage.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm sure you can...I watched a 15 year kid run a 25 with a DRILLING last summer. 12 gauge with a .30-06 nestled inbetween.

And he did it without even breaking a sweat....

jeff

·
Registered
134 Posts
I enjoy shooting a sxs for trap and sporting clays. My sxs shooting has taken me from AA doubles to B with a smile on my face.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
First Trapgun I ever shot was an Iver Johnson SxS, full and fuller. They were looooong barrels. I probably never asked what length they were way back then, but they were probably 32".

This was an Iver Johnson dedicate trapgun, not a field-gun just being used to shot some trap.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
To really impress your shooting friends....hold it sideways and sight down the right barrel!

It will shoot a lil high, but you and adjust within a couple of shots!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looking into a BROWNING B-SS for $700.00 single trigger any input also if anyone has an orignal owners manual please email me

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thats what i used back when i first started - about 40 yrs ago then bought an MX8 when i wore it out! I still shoot the MX8 (I have almost worn this one out too!) But i some times bring the old Lefeever out!
Mr. Marcy

R

·
0 Posts
pocatello: am interested in the m21 that your friend might have for sale ...if available please e-mail details and price....thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think a sxs is just as effective as an o/u for trap. It's all a matter of what you are used to shooting. Sure, most sxs are flat shooting, but you can compensate for that. IMO the biggest problem with sxs guns is that most of them are old and may not be as reliable as a modern o/u. I recently had the safety spring on a L.C.Smith fail. When that happens, the safety is permanently on. Tom S. (welderman)

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Date: 17-Feb-07 - 09:30 PM MT

Here's an old Win.mod.24 I shot a little trap with in my younger days and did pretty good with it. Several trophy's and cash, more than I paid for the gun first time out. Glad no one told me it wasn't any good for breaking birds! The strikers in this gun may be as fast or faster than my P gun. Hap

I raised the comb on this 1948 field gun with a K pad and electrical tape,lotsa tape! I wasn't gonna give away my secrets but,, it worked.

·
Banned
476 Posts
There is an advantage of shooting doubles trap with a sxs especially if your a two eyed shooter -- shoot the right barrel first if your right handed right eye dominate and then the left barrel --- it makes sense, one eye over the right barrel and one eye over the left barrel !!!

Joe

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Joe, that's not exactly how shooting a double barrel works eye wise. At least not for me when I was shooting my mod.24 in competition shoots. For tough angle shots, a barrel width can be used for reference for lead instead of the bead for more horizontal lead though. Isn't that close to what you meant? Hap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.