Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newcomer to clay target shooting. I noticed that Academy Sports and Outdoors has a special sale right now on the one ounce AA steel shells in sizes 7.5 and 8. Factor in the Winchester rebate and the price looks good.

I have never shot a load of steel in my life. As a youngster growing up I was warned that steel shells would damage the bore of the shotgun.

So my first question is using modern shotguns are the rounds OK to use considering possible bore damage?

Second question are the hulls used in the steel AA loads the same hulls used in lead AA loads? If so I could save the hulls for reloading.

My final question is would the steel loads work for trap, sweet, and 5 stand?

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
The only way I would shoot steel shotgun shells is when the conditions do not allow me to shoot lead.

IMO, there is no upside to steel shells for clay target sports.

BTW, your questions do not show ignorance, in fact, you've obviously given this subject a lot of thought.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
Unless you are in an area where shooting steel shot at targets is required, there is no need to shoot steel shot at them. Steel shot might damage a barrel if shot without a plastic shot cup in the load, but any factory loads you are likely to run in to will have a one piece plastic wad with a shot cup that protects the barrel. And the hulls used in the steel shot AAs are not the same as the other AAs. The steel shot AAs are not recommended for reloading.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
One caution with steel is that if a pellet hits the concrete trap house it will rebound back with sufficient energy to cause injury. That is why the ATA requires that clubs using steel shot put a piece of plywood or other material on the house or other surfaces that the shot might hit for the steel pellet to penetrate and not rebound.

Steel shot, because of its lower density, generally goes one size larger than lead. Thus steel loads would normally be shot size 7 (lead eq 7.5) or 7.5 (lead eq 8)

I have only shot one box of steel trap loads and that was several years ago. I bought two boxes because they were on sale (nobody was buying them) and I decided to give them a try. The one box I shot kicked a heck of a lot harder than my hunting loads. They hit back so hard I did not even fire the second box. Maybe by now they softened them up some but I have never had a reason to find out.

I don't know if the shell is the same as the lead shot loads so no help there. Personally speaking, I would be hesitant to use steel in a choke tube gun. This is my opinion but lead being softer can deform a bit going thru the choke while steel, being significantly hard, would hit the tube harder and may possibly damage it. Like I said this is my opinion and not a definite statement of personal experience.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Many clubs do not allow steel on the range. Nashville Gun Club is one of them. Ricochet is a problem, they will come back at you!

Non reloadable hulls, increased risk. No reason to shoot them unless it is mandatory at your club.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enough said. Thanks for the wisdom that each of you shared.

I will pass on the steel.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
For a reloadable hull, check out Cabelas Black Friday sale.
They have Remington Gun Clubs for a good price by the case/flat.
George

·
5,232 Posts
When Naperville reopened in 2001, we threw original AA Steel in 7 steel... 1-1/8 oz... 1145 fps and those puppies cost $9/bx.

STS Steel came along in 6-1/2 and 7s... and those were nicer...

The Academy sporting shells at 1400 fps are too fast for trap, and the tiny steel is somewhat limited...

While we shoot plenty of steel and haven't damaged a gun in 15 years with nearly two million rounds under our belts... steel is not for everyone...

Unless you're required to shoot steel, stick with lead...

·
Registered
93 Posts
When Naperville reopened in 2001, we threw original AA Steel in 7 steel... 1-1/8 oz... 1145 fps and those puppies cost $9/bx.

STS Steel came along in 6-1/2 and 7s... and those were nicer...

The Academy sporting shells at 1400 fps are too fast for trap, and the tiny steel is somewhat limited...

While we shoot plenty of steel and haven't damaged a gun in 15 years with nearly two million rounds under our belts... steel is not for everyone...

Unless you're required to shoot steel, stick with lead...
Wondering why 1400 Fps is considered too fast for trap?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts