Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile I have toyed with the idea of getting a Winchester Model 21 set up for trap with a raised rib and beaver tail forearm.

I finally found a beaver tail 21 in good condition, but it lacks the raised rib.

For casual shooting at the 16 yard line does it matter much that the gun lacks a raised rib?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
There are better guns to use in the game of trap; and there is no way to destroy the collector value of a mod. 21 than to butcher it with modifications. My advice is to enjoy the mod. 21 for what it is, and learn to shoot it the way it is.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The important thing is to take it out and pattern it and to check its POI. Don`t assume anything and go from there. Know where it shoots for you.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Its interesting to see how the game has changed the guns used to play it over time.
My BIL had a nice LC Smith trap grade. It had the single trigger.
Very flat shooter.
If that one could tell stories I bet they would have been worth hearing.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Either solid or VR M21 Trap are great shotguns. What you should be concerned with is the comb high enough to function as a trap gun? If it is a field grade M21 you may be frustrated with hitting trap targets. If that is your intended use, you would be much better served by finding a M21 Trap.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And there is no way to destroy the collector value of a mod. 21 than to butcher it with modifications. My advice is to enjoy the mod. 21 for what it is, and learn to shoot it the way it is.
No way would I modify it

The one I am considering is a field gun with no raised rib, no middle bead and modified/full 28" barrels

Rest assured that if I get it I will enjoy it as is

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Mine had a standard matte rib and murdered targets...and my shoulder, just fine. Always wanted to shoot a Model 21 Grand American just for a thrill. I've never seen or handled one though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts