Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I called my city treasurer today and asked if they knew the amount of my property taxes yet? The man asked for my parcel number and gave me the amount of my new tax bill.

I was surprised to learn that it was $448.29 less than last years tax amount. I asked him how can that be, as I was expecting an increase?

He said the city reevaluated estimate fair market values on properties and mine was lowered. Should I be happy about this or not?

Has your property taxes gone up or down?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
That depends on whether you're planning on A-selling=not so good-----B-staying put=smile & you have more money to shoot with. Ross Puls

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Be happy, it isn't an actual appraisal. In general real estate values have been dropping for the past decade so this shouldn't be a new thing - you should have seen reduced assesed values before now.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Be happy Steve. You're not going anywhere. Even if you were BE HAPPY DAMMIT. sorry....long winter already. Bill

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
In most states your tax assessed value is not the actual value of property. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

My taxes went down about$700.00 last year but my actual value is up considerably.

Buster

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Tax assessors are not the brightest bulb on the tree. My house has not basement, but because there are openings in the foundation with windows, she was sure there was.

My taxes went down after that.

The city's database includes selling prices, which were much higher during the bubble. When they reassessed last time they drove around in a van with the side door open and a video camera rolling. Not very ambitious if you ask me. That reassessment was later corrected all over the city.

When you take out a permit for improvements, you can be sure the assessor will be around, whether you see him or not.

I would like to have that job.

HM

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
halfmile

I had about the same situation. The township trustee does the assessing here, and her paid helper(Her husband, of coarse) inspected my property with no one home.

Our taxes are quite low, but when the trustee was replaced, I found I was paying on a barn and 3/4 acre I did not own.

He assumed I owned them, and did not check court house records.

tachyon;

My friend said his sister lives in northern Indiana, and the farm next to theirs sold recently for $14,000 an acre!!!!

Not a small tract, either.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last year my city taxing authority decided to set the FMV (fair market value) from 60% to 100%. Obviously, everyone's FMV sky rocketed.

Now they decided to lower the evaluation. I will be saving this refund money this year for next year when they decide to jack up taxes again. They set these FMV's by doing a drive by of properties, instead of a walk in.

Because I was originally in banking, most institutions I worked for do not like the FMV being lowered. When I made loans I received numerous calls from customers wanting names of appraisers who were usually known to appraise on the high side instead of being more conservative.

I've had customers pay for more than one appraisal until they actually found someone who would give them the appraisal amount they were actually seeking.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts