Trapshooters Forum banner

Shotshell Crimps

5K views 52 replies 35 participants last post by  trufan 
#1 ·
This is the first time trying to create a thread so bear with me.

Do you guys shoot shells with a crimps like these or do you tear them apart and recoup the components?

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Which part of the crimp are you referring to? The fact the crimp depth may be too deep? Or the fact the petal folds are sphinctered? The former might give me pause because crimp depth has an impact on chamber pressure. If the latter? Shoot 'em.

#22 ·
As long as the crimp is sufficient to hold the components in place shoot them and toss the empties. Once the hull gets crimped poorly it usually just gets worse. I set poor crimps aside and box them up separately from the rest. I shoot them in practice and chuck the hulls. Anyone who loads a lot of shells gets some of these while making ammo. It’s many times caused by a hull in poor condition getting into the loader without noticing it ahead of time.

#24 · (Edited)
As others have stated, shoot them. It is not worth the energy and time breaking them apart for components.

After you shoot them, toss the hulls and focus on adjusting your press for better looking crimps. On my 366, if I pull/push too quickly, my pre-crimp does not rotate freely and creates folds like yours. For me, a more smooth and consistent rhythm was my solution .

#30 ·
Those crimps are the result of the crimp starter not lining up with the original folds. I had always had a few of these (more of a problem on 410's and 28's) and don't like ugly crimps. I load on MEC 650's and found out if I line up the original fold at the same location on each shell at the crimp starter you will eliminate those ugly folds almost entirely. I am not a speed reloader so the extra attention to line them up doesn't bother me as much as a crimp that is all wopper-jawed. Shoot those and toss them; once they have been mis-folded you can never truly straighten them out.

#33 ·
I appreciate the information. The mangled petals and poor picture disguise the depth of the crimp. I checked my crimps against factory crimps and they are the same. Also the recipe is for a lower velocity and pressure load than shown in your example. Again thanks for the information.
You don't have enough posts to use the PM system. Where do you shoot? I do most of my shooting at PG County.

#34 ·
Pay more attention to the hull after the pre-crimp if you load on a MEC. They most likely got a 4 point pre-crimp. I load on a MEC 9000, so catching those I open up the crimp and I manually form the 8 point pre-crimp. I have noticed that those cases have a stiffer plastic, maybe thicker than normal. As mentioned above it also could be the misalignment of the pre-crimp.

Jason

#35 ·
Those crimps are the result of the crimp starter not lining up with the original folds.
Which is often because the original folds have become indistinct and can't be "found" by the crimp starter. Like others here, I shoot them and try to get them culled out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.