Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an old shotshell conditioner with an integral heating element. Is there any advantage to using one?

·
Registered
384 Posts
They are intended for paper cases only. I have an old Lachmiller that we used on Federal and Super Target papers in the 60's. I still miss the original super targets.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I want one
Go to(or have your wifey) a woman's hair salon or anyplace that may have a big selection and get a 5/8" diameter curling iron with variable heat settings. You want the kind with a rheostat type adjustment. The adjustable heat setting is important. This type curling iron will work just fine and do the same basic thing. The variable heat settings lets you dial the heat down so you are only conditioning the hulls and not just flat cooking all the wax out which the higher temps can do.

PS: Do not use the wife's iron and then try to sneak it back into her bathroom. She will know when the wax gets in her hair and you will be in the doghouse. Trust me, I know. :)

Below is a link to the exact type you need should you want to order one instead.

http://www.discountbeautycenter.com...i0gnXBPe-QU56VV0v3Bh--64CTxRT9uqByRoCEgrw_wcB

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
Forster made a heated paper shell conditioner and a product called ThermMagic was a knock-off of the Forster model. Both are out of production. I have the ThermMagic. The work well to recondition the mouths of paper hulls.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ebay had two listed a few weeks ago. Might keep an eye out there. I think they sold for $20.00 plus shipping.. Happy hunting..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The one I was looking at was made by Texan. It came as a bundle with an old Texan loader that I wanted for mantelpiece art. He wouldn't separate them and the combined price of $150 was a little too much for me to spend.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
beeser,I have some Texan mantle art that I would give you if you will pay for the shipping! I think I still have a functional single stage press and a resizer plus a bunch of parts.I have no use for this mess and the price is cheap!Anyone?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I have an iron for paper hulls. It's still attached too my Dads old Mec reloader from the 1950's
Just out of curiosity, what model of MEC loader is it? I have my dads old MEC 400 Super Speeder w/original manual. I made a promise to myself that I would get it up and going and load some shells for old times sake. Wow, what a real piece of crap. LOL.
1-1/2 hrs. later, shot and powder everywhere, I finally managed to get 25 nice shells loaded. This loader is awkward with nothing in line. You find yourself going back n forth. I now love my Pacific 366 so much more. Heck, it even made my MEC 600jr. feel like a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think it's a 400 like yours. I used to reload on it as a kid. It's got dies for 12 and 20 ga.. I remember buying my first PW 800 used in 1976. I still have it. My Dad loved the 800's. But reloaded on a Mec versa Mec 700 at the time. I've come a long way since then. I use a Spolar now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts