Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there using Shotkam as a training tool for youth shooters? Is it worth the price tag $$$? Would like some feed back from those who have some firsthand experience with it . Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
I owned a shotkam and sold it after I found out what I was looking for . It is a very nice tool. I have also had a chance to use the new Garmin zero. I think the garmin would be a better investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I owned a shotkam and sold it after I found out what I was looking for . It is a very nice tool. I have also had a chance to use the new Garmin zero. I think the garmin would be a better investment in my opinion.
Thank you , I will check out the garmin

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know of two clubs in our area that have the garmin for there youth teams as a training tool. Last year at the grand they had a large area setup by the practice traps demonstrating the equipment. Maybe they will be back again this year. Ask around your area and see if someone has one and ask if they will demo it for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Setup on the ShotKam takes a little bit of time, so it can be difficult to run a bunch of kids on the same day. The Garmin could be left on a post for each kid to pass by and shoot 5 shots on it. Both would have the most benefit with plenty of time to look at all the feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
No experience with the Garmin, but I have used ShotKam for myself and for some youth shooters and I did see improvement.
Plus I think its really nice to see when you center one and watch it disappear on the camera!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have 3 ShotKams and a Garmin (and two patterning boards, shotgun software programs, etc).

The ShotKam and Garmin each have their uses and benefits that the other one does not help with.

If I could have only one... it would be the ShotKam.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have 3 ShotKams and a Garmin (and two patterning boards, shotgun software programs, etc).

The ShotKam and Garmin each have their uses and benefits that the other one does not help with.

If I could have only one... it would be the ShotKam.
What is the advantage of one over the other? Could you give some comparisons? Thanks, TC

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The ShotKam allows you to record and see what you're doing.

Many times an athlete thinks they're doing one thing and a recording shows quite a different picture.

The ShotKam is like videoing yourself shooting.

Are you holding still before calling "pull" ?

What is your actual hold point ?

Are you always swinging smoothly to the target ?

Where was your barrel the instant before pulling the trigger ?

Was it a real break ?

Follow-through ?

The ShotKam can show you all these things.

I go through the videos to note these things and compare the breaks to the losses.

The Garmin can tell you the distance you're breaking the targets

I was suprised at how consistent I was on that distance. Never varied by more than a couple of yards.

I now study the patterns on the pattern board at that distance instead of some other arbitrary distance.

The Garmin can tell where your shot pattern was relative to the clay target at the moment of breaking.

With either one, I do not make changes on the basis of a few targets or even a single day of a couple hundred targets. Have found that I may shoot quite differently from one day to another, so I always gather and analyze over several days of practice.

This is very different than how I shoot in tournaments, as anyone who's shot with me in tournaments knows.

I add or subtract stock shims, spin the dial on the adjustable rib, change the twist or cant on the recoil pad, lengthen or shorten the LOP, and change chokes and shells between each 25 targets (or between posts). Sometimes I will even switch guns from my Pro-Rib Trap Special K-80 to a Perazzi TM1 between 25's. Those tournament clay targets are talking to each other and will catch on if you're too consistent or predictable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hammer, I am looking at how much of a cant I have with my mount using a ShotKam. How do you get the ShotKam mounted to the barrel so that the field is perfectly level? Any suggestions for scaling the recorded image to measure point of impact of pattern?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have both. I think Hammer1 did a good job of summarizing what you can see with each of them. I look at it this way: the garmin tells you your results (where did you shoot) and the shotkam shows you how you got there.

I found the using the wifi capability (watching in real time) didn't produce adequate image quality to give consistent, immediate feedback. I always had to download the recordings and play them on something bigger than a phone. I took a chromebook to our practices and downloaded the shots after a round and let the shooter watch their shots in between rounds. I would point out trends I saw if the shooter didn't see them on their own.

I'm probably going to sell the shotkam but I'll keep the garmin.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hammer, I am looking at how much of a cant I have with my mount using a ShotKam. How do you get the ShotKam mounted to the barrel so that the field is perfectly level? Any suggestions for scaling the recorded image to measure point of impact of pattern?
Are you saying you're trying to eliminate your cant or you are trying to set the shotkam so it's level while you have the gun canted?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
You can put the gun in a cleaning vise (or something to lock it in place),make sure it is perfectly level and then adjust the camera to be level (use the phone app to see the view). Then yu know it is mounted level. I find that the ShotKam mounting bracket is a little off on mine and if I square it up without using the phone app it looks slightly canted when I mount. I ignore that when I review the videos. Even if I do cant the gun, who cares that is how I shoot and what works for me.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I will add that I tried mounting the camera to be level while the gun was level and the camera looked like it was hanging off to the side and not directly under the barrel that is why I say the mount is a little off on mine. And the review of the video didn't make a difference. Just set it up so the camera is aligned to the bead of the gun pointing at something 30 yards away.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In another couple of years...

think the Garmin will be developed enough to replace tournament scorekeepers. It will relay real-time the scores to the score screens in the trap club house saving labor, time, and unhappiness.

By then, we'll also have artificial intelligence with radar setting the trap machine to throw perfect targets everytime regardless of changing wind, temperature, cloud-cover, or people. Between Singles and Doubles all the traps will be reset instantly with a single touch of a computer screen icon in the trap club house.

Each shooter will have an implanted device that thinks "pull" eliminating microphones.

Then all we'll have to think about is # 7 1/2's versus # 8's... and what's for lunch.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,144 Posts
Waste of time and money if you ask me. People that use them are the same folks who carry barrel mics around with them everywhere and tend to over annualize every aspect of the sport. Most aren’t very good shooters either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mounting the ShotKam by "eye balling" produced a tilted field when viewed with tablet, like jetheller's. I will follow his lead leveling the barrel's rib and then rotating the ShotKam until its field is level. Tough to reproduce this each time the ShotKam is removed and remounted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts