Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I have one and they work the only thing is after you find the problem is you won't use it. It will show the shot pattern at 27 yards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Second what Baron58 says. Just sold mine, was great the first couple of times then stopped using it. I think having a buddy watch behind you will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have one, great tool. I use it for a while, put it away, and then bring it back out. It'll show you exactly where you're shooting. What you think you see and what the camera sees when you shoot will amaze you. Real eye opener!! If I didn't have one, I'd get one.

Tomas

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
291 Posts
I have had Shotkam for almost a season and use it to remind me what to do, I use it as a preview b/4 I go to meet,.i save the different shots and ad to it each trip I come back!! I keep about 200 shots and recycle them in a my own review!! well worth the money help me in 3 venues' sheet: trap: sporting clays:

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
my brainkam works better for cheaper.

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
291 Posts
your ale to not just see the break. you are able to see where you break the bird. front, back, top, bottom. on skeet, and trap you can see by how much you miss it by! you can even see the shot Colum!!

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I purchased one when they first hit the market. I used it for about 3 months. Learned what I need to learn and sold it, taking a $50 loss. But, for the $50 it was worth it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
went in with 6 other shooters. We keep it in a locked box at our club, have a shooting sled to set the reticle on site, each owner brings their own micro SD card. If you'r anything like me and adjust your gun settings once in a while, you need to confirm that your adjustments are correct. I think it's a great tool. you can slow the shot stream down to a point that it can take several minutes to see the shot, not recommended but you could.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not trying to steal the thread, but I tried a Tachyon GunCam and find it gets the job done just fine. The Tachyon doesn't have the Wi-Fi transfer, auto On/Off and can't be bore sighted...but it mounts close enough to dead-on and at $229.00 it softens the blow over the ShotCam. Tachyon sells through Amazon and after some finagling with some Amazon Prime benefits I got the Tachyon delivered for $143.00. I do the same as Nobu above, each member of the club purchases his/her own microSD card to record their shoot session. I film the shooter with a iPhone and then couple the GunCam footage with the iPhone video using the free Hudltechnique App from the App Store. Great training tools.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
BillyG,

Care to give us an update on the Tachyon GunCam? Where I shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays, they have very tall trees in the background and the trap and skeet targets never get silhouetted against the sky (except maybe High 8 on skeet). So we are constantly shooting against a dark background. How well does the Tachyon do in this situation on a overcast or cloudy day?

Also, could you give us a little description of the playback features when you're viewing it on your computer at home?

Thanks,

Easystreet

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone used this with young shooters? We were thinking about getting one of our high school team. At the time I didn't realize it used a SD card, actually just didn't think about it. But if each kid had their own SD card it would be more plausible, although it could make practice quite a bit longer. Maybe we could have limited Shotkam slots for each practice and reserve those for shooters that need the most help... thoughts?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Has anyone used this with young shooters? We were thinking about getting one of our high school team. At the time I didn't realize it used a SD card, actually just didn't think about it. But if each kid had their own SD card it would be more plausible, although it could make practice quite a bit longer. Maybe we could have limited Shotkam slots for each practice and reserve those for shooters that need the most help... thoughts?
I am a high school/middle school team coach. I have a personal Shotkam that I have used with my son - have not used it with the team. It is very useful. It takes a bit of setup though for each gun you mount it on so if you were going to use for a team, you'd probably want to set aside some in a practice to use it with just a few students.

What you do is mount the camera on the gun and then put the camera in "wifi mode" which allows you to connect to it through the shotkam app on your smart phone. Once you're connected, you are looking through the camera. You then have to point the gun at a fixed point about 15-20 yards away and then through the app, adjust the reticle in the shotkam to be pointing at the same place the gun is pointing. You would have to do this each time you mounted it on a different gun so it can be a bit tedious and time consuming.

Then to watch the video, you can plug the camera directly into a laptop via the USB port or take the SD card out and put it in a card reader on a laptop or computer.

I usually record in 1/8 speed. It allows you to see the shot and get a real good idea of what the gun is doing.

Hope this give you a general idea. I'd say it's a valuable tool but it can be tedious and time consuming so depending on the number of coaches you have, number of kids, number of traps, etc.. it may or may not be for you

·
Registered
52 Posts
That sounds great. We have some kids that do great in some disciplines then can't break 10 in another. It has to be how or what they are seeing. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
179 Posts
That sounds great. We have some kids that do great in some disciplines then can't break 10 in another. It has to be how or what they are seeing. Thanks for the input!
I'd say if you have a coach who can devote the time just to the Shotkam during a practice, it would be quite helpful. I think what it is probably best at is just seeing the overall movement of the gun. Is it smooth or jerky? Do they swing to the target and then stop and shoot (and miss) or do they keep swinging through the target and then pull the trigger. I've found it much easier to see this on the kam than watching over a shoulder.

Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd say if you have a coach who can devote the time just to the Shotkam during a practice, it would be quite helpful. I think what it is probably best at is just seeing the overall movement of the gun. Is it smooth or jerky? Do they swing to the target and then stop and shoot (and miss) or do they keep swinging through the target and then pull the trigger. I've found it much easier to see this on the kam than watching over a shoulder.

Good luck
I can see it being helpful with some of the good shooters, who could be excellent, if they didn't already know everything! I'll tell them, you picked your head up and stopped swinging. You were a little behind that one. Then they reply I shot over that one.... lol... sure buddy, ok. Must be tough knowing everything... they all break down and start to get it, visual proof might expedite this!

·
Registered
83 Posts

Good luck
I would like to get one of these for our HS team as well. It's good to get this feedback and the one from your previous post about setup & the time it takes. Also your last statement about watching over their shoulder - I have the same thought. With some kids I find it fairly easy to tell what they are doing by watching over their shoulder and other kids I have a hard time. Using the Shotkam or similar tool we can 'show' them exactly what they are doing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts