Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a training aid for the wife and I. I have been looking at either a shotkam or garmin. Anyone have any experience with both of them? Is one better then the other? I like the idea of the shotkam, but the garmin unit looks solid also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Four ShotKams
Two Garmins

Both devices are very good training aids.

Obviously, I like them both.

If I could have only one, would have the ShotKam.
Have you compared them side by side? I would like to see if the Garmin provided the same results as the ShotKam shows.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"Have you compared them side by side"

Whenever I use the Garmin, the ShotKam is in use too.

The two devises are for different purposes and are not redundant.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The ShotKam is a movie camera. It can tell you if you're moving or steady when you called "pull". It can tell you your real hold point above or on the house. It can tell you about your jerky motions. Where was the barrel pointing when you fired. What was your follow-through. How did you recover from the first shot on Doubles and move to the second. The Garmin does not tell you these things.

The Garmin can tell you how far out the target was when you fired. It can tell you where the pattern center was relative to the target. It can keep score and tell you the quality of your hits. These are different things than the ShotKam.

They are great when used in combination.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have both Shotkam and Garmin Xero S1. I did use them simultaneously. As Hammer1 stated, they offered different informations and have different purpose. What I found is that Garmin Xero S1 really helped set up the gun and POI. For instance, I never adjusted my rib in the past. I always had shotkam on my barrel and I reviewed them to see how I can improve. After I started using Garmin Xero, to my surprise, my POI was lower than I expected even though I have checked the pattern on paper. Using Xero S1, I was able to adjust my rib to raise my POI. I don't change how I shoot, instead, I change gun to fit me. This works well. On my most recent Garmin data, my shot placement was average 5 inches to the center of clay targets and I was able to break targets well. For the ones I missed, I looked at Shotkam. Mostly those misses were from jumping the gun, over-swing, or holding high gun when targets never actually reached the peak.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"Mostly those misses were from jumping the gun, over-swing, or holding high gun when targets never actually reached the peak."

All my misses come from shooting over the top of low flying targets associated usually with jumping the gun...

or by the distraction of the swooning crowd. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can the Garmin crossover to Skeet and Sporting or is it mainly for Trap? I’ve used my ShotKam for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Upland training mode lets you practice your skills with a compatible trap thrower in environments outside of the trap field. A standard round of upland shooting consists of 25 targets. Up to six shooters can compete against each other in a single round of upland shooting. Each shooter must stand behind the Xero® S1 device when taking their shot.

·
Premium Member
Beretta 694 LH / Krieghoff KX6 Special
1 Posts
Can the Garmin crossover to Skeet and Sporting or is it mainly for Trap? I’ve used my ShotKam for all.
I recently purchased a Garmin Xero to help my coach help me. Like others, was torn between Gamin and the Shotcam - I have certainly found out that the use of the two products together offers very little redundant information. I have found that If you have the environment to set up your practice sessions so that you aren't worried about holding up your squad mates, and then shut down the active display so you don't find yourself worrying more about the read-out than making the shot, the Garmin provides a wealth of accurate information. The common issue that cause "accuracy" concerns is the display of target speed - remember, the Garmin provides AVG. speed, so the bird is slowing and then (hopefully) is shattered. The AVG speed will not be the speed the bird left the house. It also does not consider the angle, so the hard R/L will always read slower than the straight away. It's not intended to verify ATA speed measurements - Keep your radar gun! My overall experience, thus far, is similar to others - So much good information that you need to pick apart the data and work on your corrections in steps. The Garmin will confirm you are on the right track. As others have said it provides a new level training aide for our AIM / Youth shooters. Our club hosts coaching for several local high school teams, and I have offered the use of the Garmin to all three of the coaches. The feedback (100%) is that it allows them to focus 98% on the shooter and not worry about watching the resulting shot, which provides accurate corrections based on Garmin data and the observations of the shooter/student's movements. Bottom line - I have found the unit reliable and beneficial to both shooter and coach in the information it provides -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts