Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that Browning is outfitting their Citori and Maxus hunting models with optional blond maple woodstocks.

Anyone have opinions/experience on the characteristics of maple wood? I'm not talking about whether it looks nice or not, I'm more interested in its strength (prone to cracking), heaviness/lightness compared to walnut, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
No worries.Maple is very hard and dense.It is not prone to cracking.It is my favorite for gun stock wood.Here is my favorite.
Dave

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Remington occasionally offers rifles with maple stocks so recoil shouldn't be a problem for it.

Ed

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
I've always preferred the look of maple myself. However, quite a few maple stocked shotguns and rifles I've seen have had some sort of crack or defect at the inlet.

Not sure if its endemic of the species of wood, but of the percentage of cracked stocks I've seen on maple stocked guns has been MUCH higher than walnut stocked ones. I think some things can be done to mitigate any issues by stockmakers that know what they're doing though.

Dennis Devault or the guys @ Wenig would be the ones to ask.

Here is some info I found on a quick internet search:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-555721.html

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I don't feel that way about blonde wood. To me quilted maple is pretty. But then again I like Sako rifles with their European walnut stocks....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts