Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,241 Posts
In Illinois I doubt it, it does in Michigan though.
I had a nice chat with a state trooper at the grand the first year open. He said as long as the end cinched shut and was not just open (think foldover Velcro) this constituted a barrier and thus a case in Illinois.

Some friends and I were driving down the road when our driver decided to take some nice wide swerves across the two lane in road. The officer was in the unmarked behind us. We had two guns in socks draped over the back seat next to a buddy and I.

No citation but a stern talking to. And a little lesson about cases in the process.

·
Registered
322 Posts
According to the Illinois state police a legal case is as follows;

A container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I believe the intent of the law is to make the gun unusable by restricting access. Nearly all firearms could be fired with a gun sock on and tied shut...I doubt if I would want to be the test case in court.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Send a few more dollars and get a case and you won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
A few yrs. ago my son checked the laws in Md. as to transporting a gun from one of our properties to another and the MDSP said had to be empty and no magazines loaded no case was required and I had a trooper look in my car as I stopped to help a lady broke down with a trap 870 and 2 benchrest 22s on the back seat no case and never said a word.We do live in the western part of the state the Trump part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts