Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the shortage has been discussed, but this question is a little different.

This question is only for trap/ skeet/ target loads, not handgun ammo. I know many, many people bought handguns and shotguns. But you do find some trap loads for fair prices, you don't find handgun ammo for the same fair prices at all.

We all know there is a shortage, but yet some of the big names cheaper than dirt and others get enough to sell for crazy prices, I also read and see that Walmarts and Cabelas also get some and sell it for pretty much fair prices. That leads me to believe the manufacturers raised the prices slightly. These other dealers are gouging us with their extremely high prices, which some are paying which doesn't help, but I do understand people want to go out and enjoy themselves even if it costs more. But these prices are getting crazy $150/flat for target loads.

So my question is why don't the manufacturers step in and stop selling to them so they can't gouge and more to the Walmart's and other stores with fair pricing. I'm sure it's more complicated.

Sorry for the long question.

· Registered
5,684 Posts
If you truly believe Cheaper Than Dirt is true to their name, I really do have a bridge to sell you. You can't get gouged if you know they are higher than everyone else and don't buy from them. If you do, then the egg is on your face.

SARCO hand select used to be the standing joke too, well, still is, but CTD has always been know to be the ripoff kings when the opportunity presented itself; Sandy Hook, the present, etc. They have sold a lot of parts and kits, but they have also taken advantage of the times when presented. The older crowd will abandon them, but new customers will replace them. They don't seem to care.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Have you heard of supply and demand? If you think the price is unfair, don’t buy it, simple as that. When, and if, the supply returns the price will come down. Do you really want a governmental agency or a company deciding what a fair price is? Many people on here are very anti-Walmart but some feeling seem to have changed. You seem to want lower prices but if companies decide that a higher price is more fair, are you willing to pay? Leave it to capitalism to determine the price and it will be better for everybody. BTW, I have purchased 5 flats of shotshells in the past 27 months. I reload and I stocked up when stuff was cheap.

· Registered
4,113 Posts
God helps those that help themselves. Unless you're a Democrat and looking for someone else to fix your problem. Either buy or don't. You don't need anyone to help you. If you don't buy them they will have too much inventory and stop buying stock.

· Registered
948 Posts
Ammo envy causes hoarding. It’s caused by going to the range and hear guys talk about their stockpile of 100 flats, or another talk about how he just cleared out 6 flats at Walmart before the clerk had a chance to take them off of the stock cart. Sometimes it’s the same guy. And you sit and stare at your last 4 pack.

Ammo envy is being replaced by covid shot envy. Same guys talk about how easy it was to find a shot at the local grocery store, on their way to clean out Walmart, and you contemplate if you may be able to trade your last 4 pack for a covid shot.

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Ammo envy causes hoarding. It’s caused by going to the range and hear guys talk about their stockpile of 100 flats, or another talk about how he just cleared out 6 flats at Walmart before the clerk had a chance to take them off of the stock cart. Sometimes it’s the same guy. And you sit and stare at your last 4 pack.

Ammo envy is being replaced by covid shot envy. Same guys talk about how easy it was to find a shot at the local grocery store, on their way to clean out Walmart, and you contemplate if you may be able to trade your last 4 pack for a covid shot.
I guess I'm pretty lucky. I'm under 40 and had both Covid shots in the 1st wave and I have ammo for years. I didnt really want the shot but work more or less said I had to get it. Being essential and all that.

Here is one thing they don't talk about. They don't tell you how hard it is to pull a flat off of one of your pallets and you don't know if your ever going to be able to replace it. You stare at the hole it created in the perfect shape of one of your pallets. You know what it should look like and the form is diminished. It creates real emotional pain and suffering.

· Registered
614 Posts
Have you heard of supply and demand? If you think the price is unfair, don’t buy it, simple as that. When, and if, the supply returns the price will come down. Do you really want a governmental agency or a company deciding what a fair price is? Many people on here are very anti-Walmart but some feeling seem to have changed. You seem to want lower prices but if companies decide that a higher price is more fair, are you willing to pay? Leave it to capitalism to determine the price and it will be better for everybody. BTW, I have purchased 5 flats of shotshells in the past 27 months. I reload and I stocked up when stuff was cheap.
Amen sir, you have Business Sense otherwise known as Capitalism.

· Premium Member
13,766 Posts
Do you know what would be crazy? If the CEO of a major ammo company made a video and put it up on youtube to explain the ammo shortage. Wouldn't that be wild?
Don't start, man. You're an agitator, or even a troll, maybe. :LOL:

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
We already know blackandgold is a hoarder. He offered that fact up himself.
Every post he makes. I’m beginning to wonder if he isn’t just a braggart like the high school kid trying to make himself look like SOMEBODY but who only exists in his own feeble mind.

· Registered
475 Posts
It is literally insanity right now. You have to go online to even get 22 cal pellets for a damn pellet gun. Some of the suppliers I usually look toward are either out or only have low quality ones in stock. Had to go to eBay and Amazon to get H&N and JSB pellets and unfortunately there you are paying near 22 rimfire ammo prices. It’s crazy. I have a Winchester 1897 10 ga I will never use. Gunbroker actually has no 10 ga ones I can find but a couple months ago I would see all kinds of 12’s going for like 450. I just looked today at completed items and there wasn’t one that went for less than 700 and many north of a grand. I mean seriously is the end of the world coming. I don’t even know where to begin on price of that 10 ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,784 Posts
It is literally insanity right now. You have to go online to even get 22 cal pellets for a damn pellet gun. Some of the suppliers I usually look toward are either out or only have low quality ones in stock. Had to go to eBay and Amazon to get H&N and JSB pellets and unfortunately there you are paying near 22 rimfire ammo prices. It’s crazy. I have a Winchester 1897 10 ga I will never use. Gunbroker actually has no 10 ga ones I can find but a couple months ago I would see all kinds of 12’s going for like 450. I just looked today at completed items and there wasn’t one that went for less than 700 and many north of a grand. I mean seriously is the end of the world coming. I don’t even know where to begin on price of that 10 ga.
Are you sure your "Winchester 1897 10 ga." isn't a Winchester 1887 10 gauge?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.