Trapshooters Forum banner

Have you noticed a decline in the quality of ammunition over the last 7 years.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The problems I have had over the years were with W, AA
Had a tray of bad primers and some new FTF shells.

Years ago I shot Fed. papers and never had a problem.

I now shoot Gold Medals (ribbed) and they don't load for me like the old ones did.

Regards....Gerald

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
There is definitely something to be said about loading your own shells.

I can count on one hand the number of bad handloads I've had in competition over the course of 30k+ rounds and 10+ years. One 410 with a light powder charge, one 12ga with a light powder charge, and one 12ga with a too deep primer (was in the process of setting up a P/W).

I had nearly as many issues in 4 boxes of STS 20ga I came across that had hard primers.

I firmly believe that a conscientious reloader can produce shells at least as good, if not better than any factory load out there. They will certainly have tighter quality control (they only thing they can't control is the primer, and I can't remember the last time I reloaded a dud primer).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Dennis:

With regards to poor quality in shot shells, I don't think we've seen the tip of the iceberg yet.
I believe in the next little while we'll see a dirge of Chinese shells that will make Top Guns
look like Nitro's or AA's. As you've said the manufacturers don't give a damn because
they sell all they make. There is a tv show in Canada called "Market Place" that addressed
this problem and found a lot of the manufacturers especially of appliances won't look at any problem
once the warranty is up, sometimes by as little as 1 week. The worst offenders were Samsung, and Whirlpool.
The problem now in Canada is we cannot depend on a brand being around for very long, except AA's
at almost $93 a flat. Rio's were available from Laury's, but they're all gone. Just a few Estates, and
Top Gun's. I hope things get better, but I feel Clay Shooting will lose the young shooters, because of
expense, and a lack of supply's to do reloads, and will only be the playgrounds of the wealthy.

This was an e-mail sent to me from one of my Clients in Canada. Just a little fuel for thought about our future as a sport.
Dennis

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not really, but I mostly reload. The biggest problems I've had are related to Winchester WinClean handgun ammunition. This particular ammunition has some kind of abrasive in the powder charge and will eat through compensators and baffles of suppressors.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts