Trapshooters Forum banner

Have you noticed a decline in the quality of ammunition over the last 7 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am creating a poll to see what the shooting population thinks of the quality of ammunition being offered today. I have talked to countless gun smiths and shooters that have all suffered problems with shells in general. Miss-fires, no mix in the primer and an overall decrease in quality and lack of caring by the manufactures. Thank you for taking the poll.

Dennis DeVault

·
Banned
818 Posts
I guess I have just been lucky, I shoot Estates and Remingtons, so far if there is a problem I have not noticed it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had problems with estates crimps coming open in the box, and some dud loads. I have shot some gun club shells that the hull and base have seperated.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Gun clubs are my favorite "throw away" shell, and they actually reload really nice. However being steel base, I only shoot them in my semi auto's and let them fly.

I did however a few months back see separated gun club hulls from their bases all over the trap field after a weekend of shooting. I suspect this was a machine failure at Remington and has been corrected, but for a time even my favorite gun club hull was really a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I shoot all federal shells (Wally world 4 packs and Estates from Cabelas) and have been shooting since 2004. I have only had one shell that didn't fire and that was one shell from some Winchester AA's I bought during their rebate season last year. The primer cap was missing from the primer. Other than that nothing.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If anything the value priced shells are better than they were years ago . I think all of them are ok some may not be as clean burning but I have not shot any that did not break targets well

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Over a lifetime of shooting I've encountered defective shells from every major manufacturer from their so called premium to their low cost promotional offerings. Remington had a primer problem in their Gun Clubs five or six years ago due to over hardened metal on the primer anvil, they corrected the problem, took care the customer and life moved on. I've had field loads mixed in with target loads, crushed hulls, open crimps, no primers.

I don't think the promo shells are any worse now than in the past. I remember Winchesters promotional rendition of thier paper Super Target with a steel head, lots of guy's wouldn't shoot them, I shot thousands without problems.

As I've always said, if you manufacturer you're going to have problems somewhere in the process and sometimes those problems get shipped to the customer, which is another problem but not the end of the world.

Surfer

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Steel bases.

In all my years of shooting, I think I maybe had two misfires. I coach our local high school team and we shoot Federal Top Guns. The past three weeks we've had 13 misfires...5 at the league championships last Friday. The misfires did not happen with just one shooter.

Doug

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Started back trap shooting 3 years ago. Had one bad Winchester shell (out of an estimated 1200 used) that appeared to have a faulty primer. No issues with STS and Federal value shells used. Shoot more reloads than factory.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I shoot so few factory loads I don't think my reply would be accurate. My only problem that I can remember were a Federal Champion II MANY years ago that failed with the first one out of the box. What made this memorable is that I was in a Shoot-Off and decided to use Factory instead on my normal reloads. I had won the box of Federals as a prize and the very first shot I tried fizzeled the wad out the barrel and maybe three or four feet from my feet. It got sent back to Federal and their response was it appeared that the primer flash hole, when molded left a thin covering over the hole which the primer blew through but lost so much energy that the main charge was not really ignited. That was back in the 70's or early 80's. Needless to say, my concentration was ruined and I lost the shoot off by a wide margin.

My only other FTF involved a Remington 30.06, again the first one out of the box, that would not fire even with repeated primer strikes. That was maybe three or four years ago. The other 19 rounds fired normally. Again every other load out the barrel, other than this one box, were reloads with no problems.

Over all the past years I doubt that I have actually fired more than maybe 10 or 15 flats worth of factory shotgun ammo and even much less centerfire. Now .22 RF on the other hand has gone down drastically in quality while the price went up tremendously. I have had Thunderbolt where maybe 1 or 2 out of 50, at times even less, would fire even with repeated firing pin hits in different areas. I have also just recently had some .22 CCI LR that would either fail to feed, jamming up the Ruger semi-auto, or fail to eject, again with the the Ruger. Other manufacturers ammo did not have this problem.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have to say YES.

However this needs more than just the quick black/white answer.

As far as "IF" a shell goes off in any gun, or the shell gets hung-up when ejecting from gun? Sure, maybe one out of ten thousand, unless you shoot one of the "stick" guns. Something about these basic designs seem to have more issues than most others. I love the way those guns look, swing, ect, ect,,, but do not wish to put up with the "shell issues" for lack of better words.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Federal Gold Medal Paper and Plastic premium shells are all I shoot as I have trouble with any hull with a steel base. IMO, the Federal Gold Medal ribbed plastic shells have improved their quality and are very uniform as compared to slick Federal Plastic hulls. The Federal Gold Medal Paper shells are great when fired new however the paper seems a little thinner and more brittle than the Federal Paper hulls of the 1980's.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
If Winchester still made shells using their great compression formed hull, they would own the market. Today, their philosophy seems to be more along the line of "milk the **** out of the company and name". Typical American business short-sighted goal. Too bad.......

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
i shoot factory ammo only and have had problems over the years with everything. Nothing major but a no fire once in a long while. Did have a problem 2 year ago at the ohio state shoot. Bought 4 boxes of remington nitro 27. First one out of the box put the bb's on top of the trap house. Later one of the other shells in the box did the same thing. Really no other problems other then the bad remington gun clubs about 5 years ago and they swapped out 30 flats of shells for me.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Had a problem with Win. super targets for a while (crushed hulls) from the factory but, that seems to have been fixed. Rios had bad primers a couple of years ago, lately I haven't seen that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I guess I have been lucky. Thousands of AA's, never a problem. Thousands of Federal Gold metal, never one problem. Thousands of Remington STS, never a problem. Have loaded tens of thousands of Winchester primers, never a problem of any kind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts