Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed here in the past, but I cant seem to find the threads. I live in NE Ohio and wonder if storing my shells in an unheated garage is a bad idea. I have always stored my shells inside; however, it would be easier for me to store them in my garage. My garage can reach close to or over 100 deg in the summer and below 0 deg in the winter. I would appreciate your thoughts. Can these extreme temps harm either my reloads or factory shells? Thank you, gjmen

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a walk in unheated attic type area where I store my hulls, among other things. It is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Don't see where it hurts them.

ctreay

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
The cold temps can affect the performance of certain powders resulting in duds.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
grntitan, these shells will not be fired at these extreme cold temps. Just stored at these temps. Will the extreme cold effect the powder even after the temp of the shell rises? Thank you, gjmen

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Just let them warm up before using and they should be fine. Just watch for moisture. When you bring cold things in, they tend to sweat. I'd just bring in what you plan on using the day before to gradually warm.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Extreme temperature swings are not good for long term storage of shell, powder, or primers. With that said I have shot a lot of old decrepit shells (dead guy stuff) and they go boom. I wouldn't try to win money with them though.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I store my shells in our unheated garage near the garage door. The cases are stacked on pallets. I've stored both factory and reloads. Never had a problem. Some of the factory shells are 10 years old - got 'em cheap on a closeout ($2.99 a box for Estates).

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have not had a problem with plastic shells. Papers I have experienced them swelling slightly and being tight to get into the chamber. The shoot just fine but can be difficult to get into the gun sometimes. I store mine in the barn. WE do not have those kind of temperature changes in the Seattle Area. But we sure as heck have the moisture.

·
Registered
859 Posts
These reloads were stored in the second floor of an unheated garage for more than a year.

Temps ranged from 20 below to 100 above zero.

Everything went bang.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
file cabinets work great. Out of site. Off the floor. Can see what you have and can easily organize your supply.I lined up 6 of them in my garage.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Think of their feelings, Man! Bring them in from the garage and line up flats under your bed. The average bed can cover lots of them and they will be happier. They will keep away dust bunnies by occupying the space and keep your wife's cat from sitting under there all day. Good shooting!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Shot shells are put in unheated semi trailers and box-cars and shipped all over the country in extreme conditions. Heat is the worst enemy of smokeless powder.

Your shells should be fine.

Wayne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts