Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a few thousand Herter's rifle primers from the late 60's. They still work great. I've shot a few hundred in the last few years. Never heard of the Herter's shotgun primers. The original company went bankrupt and closed in the early 80's.

Herter's Primers2.jpg

·
Registered
775 Posts
Herters very likely never made a primer, Since Hers was headquartered in Minn, to my memory odds are your primers are Federal's made for Herters. Just speculating of course.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Herter's was a huge mail order business out of Waseca, Minnesota.
Everything they made was "perfect". They invented absolutely everything in outdoor sports, according to the advertising.
Of course, they supplied goods made for their brand by other manufacturers.
As a youth, I ordered parts for making fishing lures, cheap knives and my first walnut semi-inlet stock.
Their catalogue was about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, as I recall.
I don't know who made shotshell primers for them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, Herter's was THE source for sporting things back in the day. I bought a stock blank about 1964 from them for my Fox Sterlingworth. It was my first attempt at stock making and it turned out well. It is a nice piece of American walnut and still on the gun. I think I paid about $6-7 for it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm still using the Herter's Model 3 metallic reloading press my Dad bought in the 50's.

Reactions: higun

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
As a high school kid in the early 70's, Loved getting the Herter's and Gander Mt. catalog's in the mail. Packed them to school with my school books. Great company's back then.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Slickhead is right on! I still have 2 boxes of Herters 125gr. 30 cal hp. bullets. I too would read everything in the catalog.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I remember buying a camo shirt from them. After a few years their label became undone and the real manufacturer of the shirt's label was revealed under the Herter's label. Can't remember the brand but remember it was a well known brand.

Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
I loved Herders as a kid. I still have several of their paperback books. I recall having a couple of 45rpm records as well. One was on elk bulging the other on calling moose. Such good memories! F I remember correctly didn't their collection of mounts all get bought by Cabelas?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Probably old stuff. Very likely still good.........................Anything new with the Herter's brand is made by Winchester.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just stumbled onto this thread as I just posted pics on another Herter's thread. These are pretty old and thought some would like to see them. They appear to be in excellent condition. Anyone have knowledge or loading date for these?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts