Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In years past, I used Dr. Jones Shotgun Insight software to analyze my shotgun patterns.

Understand that the original program will not run on current computers. (My understanding may be wrong.)

Is there a version of his program -- or a new shotgun pattern software program -- that will run on currently available computers ?

A program for inserting photographs of shotgun patterns and the program determines the location of each pellet strike and then does the statistics and graphics.

Would love to be able to use Dr. Jones program.

·
Registered
217 Posts
By chance are you using Chrome as a browser? It does not work in Google Chrome. Chrome for whatever reason stopped supporting Java and many applets about a year ago. It still works but you have to use Internet Exploder, erh Explorer, Firefox or Safari (Mac). I just used it about a week ago but that is on Windows 8 with a Win7 shell.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I bought the program when it first came out. I'm currently running Win 10 Pro and it works perfectly. I've never used the online version of SI, but CI is correct. You must have both Javascript and Java enabled to use any of the online programs.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Dr, Jones wrote me that he is working with a computer consultant to update the program to work with current security software and may get it done. An alternative is to buy an old XP (or Windows 7?) desktop or laptop for peanuts on ebay and not permitting it to update anything. I have not tried this (with the online version), but one might borrow such a machine to see if it works.

I too have the stand-alone version and it sits on computers I would never allow near an internet connection or even wi-fi. Bluenose either. I even shooed the carrier pigeons out of my attic to protect shotgun-insight!

Neil

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
You don't have to buy an old computer to run this stuff. If you don't have an old machine you can clone, just download a free virtual machine with the operating system of your choice and with the configuration you want. Then just run it on your existing machine using VM Player, also free.

I do exactly that to run all the legacy 16-bit stuff like Shotgun Ballistics for Windows. I created a VM from my old XP SP3 Workstation instead of downloading someone else's. Make sure you download a Win 7 VM, preferably Pro. All the XP stuff no longer receives updates, won't run the latest versions of newer browsers and most of the anti-virus doesn't update correctly anymore. It isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Make SURE you use Internet Explorer to go to shotgun insight web page.

First follow the instructions for enabling Java in Internet Explorer located here:
How do I enable Java in my web browser?

Then Launch the Java Control Panel and click Security tab. Enable Java content in the browser and add (Edit: Site BBS software auto tagged to html, add the URL below) to the Exception Site List

You don't need an older OS...

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
CI is correct in that you can use IE to access Shotgun Insight online. IE is hidden in Win 10, at least Pro, but you can find it. In the latest, hidden version of IE, you enable Java by clicking Tools/ Manage Add-ons. Look for the Oracle America, Inc. heading. Left click on Java(tm) Plug-in SSV Helper, then click Enable. It will also tell you it is enabling the associated plug-in 2 Helper. After that, you are good to go.

The best way to find Internet Explorer on Win 10 is to type it into the search box, then click on IE Desktop App.

If you do this, be advised that Microsoft intentionally breaks things they would rather you didn't do during major updates. So remember how you did it in case you have to set it up again.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Seems patterning dosent work well on my Dell flat screen, GF also complains of the noise and drywall issues in the laundry room,, ? Right behind my computer??
Am I doing something wrong??

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yesterday at work I was given half a dozen Windows 10 workstations and told to see if our groups applications will work on it, first time I've seen Windows 10. We will not replace Windows 7 and roll out W10 until sometime next year. I'm old enough and been around long enough I no longer want bleeding hands from staying on the cutting edge of the latest greatest and agree with that decision. If you can recall Windows NT 4 Server SP2 you know at least one reason why.

During lunch today (like I don't get enough computer time) thought I'd try Shotgun Insight on Windows 7 and 10. Was local admin on the 10 box but just domain user on the 7 box. They are both locked down tighter than the bark on a tree with multiple group policies including an IE lockdown GPO.

No problems using the steps I outlined above.

[

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know this is an old thread, I found it by doing a search about using shotgun insight. By using the info Cold Iron provided, I have been able to get the insight program to open on my computer windows 10. I haven't gotten anywhere with it, I cant get it to load a pic of the target. When i select "load new target image" a box pops up, when I chose the drop down arrow next to the "look in" box, no folders are shown for me to select. Nothing is recognized. Not even if I switch for jpeg to all file types.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dr, Jones wrote me that he is working with a computer consultant to update the program to work with current security software and may get it done. An alternative is to buy an old XP (or Windows 7?) desktop or laptop for peanuts on ebay and not permitting it to update anything. I have not tried this (with the online version), but one might borrow such a machine to see if it works.

I too have the stand-alone version and it sits on computers I would never allow near an internet connection or even wi-fi. Bluenose either. I even shooed the carrier pigeons out of my attic to protect shotgun-insight!

Neil
I haven't had much luck running it under Windows 10 despite the tips offered by users. Have you heard anything further from Dr Jones? I realize that everyone's time is valuable and few people work for free---perhaps this is a Kickstarter project? Considering that the only real competition seems to be Targettelemetrics, and given the price of their targets, perhaps an updated Shotgun Insights could be priced to recover its development costs.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I plan to visit Andrew again one day, MM, assuming he is still in Essex. I'll do what I can to encourage him to update the program; it's too valuable a tool to let disappear.

Neil

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
MM, I believe the software is still available for purchase in the stand-alone version. As I said above, I have no problem running it on Win 10 Pro. If you can't find it on his website, email Dr. Jones and ask if it is still available. I know he modified it once after I bought mine, but I don't believe there were any additional updates.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know this is an old thread, I found it by doing a search about using shotgun insight. By using the info Cold Iron provided, I have been able to get the insight program to open on my computer windows 10. I haven't gotten anywhere with it, I cant get it to load a pic of the target. When i select "load new target image" a box pops up, when I chose the drop down arrow next to the "look in" box, no folders are shown for me to select. Nothing is recognized. Not even if I switch for jpeg to all file types.
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same problem on windows 7, hoping Neil might have an answer.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I don't know if the stand-alone version is still available. But if it is, buy it. It works fine on both my XP professional (Service Pac 2) and Windows 7 machines. I have to warn you, though, I don't - and haven't - let Microsoft update either one of them. If yours has been updated, I can't guarantee anything.

If you are at all interested in pattern analysis over the long term, old Windows laptops/office machines are available on e-bay if not at a local pawnshop. XP could be installed on one of them, the machine's ability to communicate with anyone but you (no wifi, no blueteeth, no cables to the chronosynclastic infundibulum) severed forever, and you are set for life with the only way you will ever, ever, be able to analyze patterns by shooting and counting a large enough population of them to learn anything.

I'll see Andrew in a couple of months, assuming he hasn't moved to the antipodes, and try to make a deal with him.

Neil

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd like to bump this thread. I'm desperate to get shotgun insight running again. I have old computers with windows XP, but I can't get the online version running so far. Is there anywhere I can get the standalone version? I see that there is another software by target telemetrics, but they want more than $3.00 each for their proprietary targets to use the software. Is it possible to make your own targets with an orange marker?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'd like to bump this thread. I'm desperate to get shotgun insight running again. I have old computers with windows XP, but I can't get the online version running so far. Is there anywhere I can get the standalone version? I see that there is another software by target telemetrics, but they want more than $3.00 each for their proprietary targets to use the software. Is it possible to make your own targets with an orange marker?
I was in the same spot. Couldn't get it to run (again) on my windows 7 machine to save my life. Emailed Dr Jones about the stand alone version and he sold me a copy of it. That worked like a charm.
Don't have to disconnect from the internet, my machine is totally up to date, and everything works great. I'd suggest doing that honestly.

I bought Target Telemetrics (targets and the android app) when I was having trouble and until the android app gets updated I would hold off going that route. I 100% trust shotgun insight....I only trust TT to find all the shot correctly about 30% right now. Through email correspondence a couple months ago they said the update is eminent but I haven't seen it yet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts