Trapshooters Forum banner

shotgun mount

1363 Views 16 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  wcowojo
I have a question. I have adjusted my comb , and my butt plate to get the figure eight sight picture that I know i should have. Continual tweaking... I finally put the comb and the butt plate to a neutral straight on position. I am in a slump with my shooting. I shot the other night and didn't look at the beads at all for alignment. I shot 22, pretty good for me, I'm just trying to get where I consistently am shooting in the mid to high 20's. Anyway, when I did look to see where my sight picture was after I mounted the gun comfortablly, my mid bead was off to the left slightly. Thats why I adjusted the comb in the first place. I continued to shoot with the mid bead off center. As long as I'm breaking birds, does that mid bead really matter?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I have a question. I have adjusted my comb , and my butt plate to get the figure eight sight picture that I know i should have. Continual tweaking... I finally put the comb and the butt plate to a neutral straight on position. I am in a slump with my shooting. I shot the other night and didn't look at the beads at all for alignment. I shot 22, pretty good for me, I'm just trying to get where I consistently am shooting in the mid to high 20's. Anyway, when I did look to see where my sight picture was after I mounted the gun comfortablly, my mid bead was off to the left slightly. Thats why I adjusted the comb in the first place. I continued to shoot with the mid bead off center. As long as I'm breaking birds, does that mid bead really matter?
No. In fact that “figure eight sight picture that I know I should have” is something that causes more trouble for shooters than it solves.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
Before you go trying to figure things out.

Go to the range and lock down the machine to shoot only strait-a-ways. Stand on post 3 with a full choke. Then start shooting at the targets. If your getting smoke balls with your stock set-up the way it is. Leave it. If not, Move the comb around until you start getting smoke balls. You'll dial it in better this way. If you start taking the left side or the right side of the target off. You'll know what side your shotgun is shooting too. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Registered
644 Posts
I'm just trying to get where I consistently am shooting in the mid to high 20's.
Are you shooting TRAP ?? o_O Only 25 targets in a round where I shoot.

A friend's new Browning came with the mid-bead mounted off-center. ....It threw off his shooting until that was discovered & corrected.

· Premium Member
1,795 Posts
In addition to the above, a simple exercise to do at home to help your mount to be consistent is to mount the gun with your eyes closed . Then open your eyes to see what the barrel and bead relationship is. This will give you a good idea of what you will need to adjust. Once you are mounting the gun consistently and seeing everything line up, hit the patterning board. You want to make sure that now the gun is shooting where you’re looking. Adjust accordingly. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I've practiced gun mount with eyes closed, adjusted the comb and or the butstock until I had the perfect snowman, then I'd miss birds. I'd look at the beads after a missed bird and even though it looked perfect prior to calling pull , after the shot my beads were off. Somebody suggested it was off after the shot because of the recoil..My gun is an old BT-99 Plus, pretty heavy, I reload one ounce loads..Recoil is not an issue for me. I think I am mouting the gun correctly with proper sight picture , then when I get into the shot I may be pulling the gun into my face "naturally". So at this point I am blacking out the mid bead and mounting my gun naturally and comfortably and I'll see how that goes.

· Registered
2,029 Posts
Yes I've practiced gun mount with eyes closed, adjusted the comb and or the butstock until I had the perfect snowman, then I'd miss birds. I'd look at the beads after a missed bird and even though it looked perfect prior to calling pull , after the shot my beads were off. Somebody suggested it was off after the shot because of the recoil..My gun is an old BT-99 Plus, pretty heavy, I reload one ounce loads..Recoil is not an issue for me. I think I am mouting the gun correctly with proper sight picture , then when I get into the shot I may be pulling the gun into my face "naturally". So at this point I am blacking out the mid bead and mounting my gun naturally and comfortably and I'll see how that goes.
Adjust the comb so the gun shoots where you look and forget about the orientation of the beads.

· Registered
754 Posts
Adjust the comb so the gun shoots where you look and forget about the orientation of the beads.
with an unloaded gun, mount and have some one look from the muzzle to your eye. the beads have to line up with the pupil. move comb left or right and check again. Right hand shooter usually the comb needs to move away from your face. Lefties the opposite (generally) Keep raising the comb until you can soot ball a straight away. Then start shooting angles to confirm. Ignore what the beads look like after that.

· Registered
754 Posts
with an unloaded gun, mount and have some one look from the muzzle to your eye. the beads have to line up with the pupil. move comb left or right and check again. Right hand shooter usually the comb needs to move away from your face. Lefties the opposite (generally) Keep raising the comb until you can soot ball a straight away. Then start shooting angles to confirm. Ignore what the beads look like after that.
Buy Phil Kiner Video 😁

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Go to the pattern board , just because beads line up doesn't always equate to the gun shooting straight. I've had shotguns that would shoot 9 inches to the left , put a different barrel on and would shoot perfect. You may also be experiencing frustration, have a friend help , sometimes just another perspective is all it takes. Best of luck and break them all.

· Registered
6,262 Posts

You're moving your head in relation to the stock. This will cause more lost birds than where the beads orient to each other.

Wood on wood; move the head with the gun. I see far to many shooters raise the gun, especially on straightaways, and either lift the gun but not their head, and block out the bird (hard to hit what you can't see) or lift their head and not the gun, hoping to see a pretty break, and instead see a clay pigeon sailing away.........

· Registered
1,784 Posts
You need to locate a qualified, certified coach.
You've gone as far as you can on your own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.