Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Party without Arty?
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting my whole life. I picked up trap about 4 years ago and well past year I have been shooting about every friday. I used to shot a Rem. 870 Pump Synthetic with Nitro 27 always would get headaches after shooting because of getting beat around with recoil. I finally bought a new gun and love it Fabarm Axis RS 12 Trap 32"O/U I finally got it fit to me perfectly and shoot it 90/10. Lately, I have been getting headaches again. I have a set of custom modeled -32db earplugs and starting to get a little worried. I have tried to double up with ears and muffs but muffs hurt my left ear (had it ripped off as a kid funny story). Has anyone else had this problem or am I still having issues with a proper fit. It hasn't been long but I have a feeling its just an adjustment period to a new gun.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Try a tiny smear of Vaseline on your cheek between your stock and face. Easy experiment to see if it helps any. It may allow the stock to slide back instead of thumping your head.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Are you doing anything else each Friday? Riding a motorcycle? Boozing it too much? Fighting traffic? In other words, are you sure it is from your weekly trip to the range? Is it from noise? Is it from recoil? I suggest you get someone (who knows what they're talking about) to watch you shoot. That would be a good place to start........
M.D.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

Why are you using Nitro 27? are you at the 27? A light load is all you need...

·
Party without Arty?
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rebel - Motorcycle was stolen 2 years ago haven't riden since, traffic I take the country roads and enjoy the drive, I am pretty confident that it is from shooting sometimes I go on wednesdays to shoot doubles and have the same experience once done shooting. I had Dale Tate from Ione, ca fit me he was recommended from almost every place I shot locally.

Two Dogs - ATA I am at 20 yard haven't had time to make registered shoots tell now schools over for good graduated, but I do most of my shooting at the 27 yard have been for the past year and done quite well but trying to make it where I can shoot more than 300 rounds before my mind says its time to quit.

Grntitan - I have not tried that I will probably try it this friday or saturday depending on what day my wife wants to go.

I have had some major concussions in my past most recent being 2010 knocked out for 35 minutes, and Traumatic brain injury in 2007 but all my doctors say and have shown me everything is fine same with my audiologist. I enjoy shooting alot and do not want to "give it up" because of constant headaches.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have had some major concussions in my past most recent being 2010 knocked out for 35 minutes, and Traumatic brain injury in 2007 but all my doctors say...........
I think you may have just answered your own question. I do wish you success in overcoming the headaches. Were it me, I'd quit shooting for a few years. Easier said than done, though.
M.D.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Are your headaches caused by recoil or sound or both or do you know? My first thought is recoil cuased by poor fit or poor mount or not holding on tightly to your gun or all three. I would move to 1oz 1200 fps loads and see what changes occur if any. You may be a candidate for a padded comb.

Surfer

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
You might do well to invest in a recoil reduction system like a Ken Ruckers "bump buster" or a Graycoil system, or something else like that. They are generally north of $500 installed, but they really do help and they cost a lot less than a single test ordered in an emergency room. Your health and possibly you life is worth whatever cost it takes. Do you shoot with anyone with a recoil aborber system, that would be willing to let you shoot their gun one night as a test?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Christopher: you are at significant risk for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, and a 'coup' event (brain bumping against the front of your skull) occurs with every shot you are taking with your current loads. Watch the movement of the heads of the other shooters on the 27 yard line
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...encephalopathy/basics/definition/con-20113581

Most of us have been forced to face (and all of us one day will face) the reality that our bodies will no longer allow us to do something we derive a great deal of pleasure from doing. I would strongly urge you to talk things over with your wife, consider your children, and stop shooting for several months.

If you start again, a sliding comb recoil reduction system and 7/8 oz. loads would be mandatory.

Thank you for your service, and sacrifice, for our nation Christopher. Please understand that your symptoms are related to your brain injuries.

·
Party without Arty?
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking for 7/8oz loads they are always out of stock. I want to switch to 24gram loads heard 24gram / 7/8oz pattern a lot better and do have a lower recoil. My wifes gun has a ruckers she shoots a 1100 comp I am thinking about getting a softTouch felt someones I shoot with and its amazing I guess my health is more than shooting your right. Powder smell I don't think might be as big but I will try and see if staying out of it more and get more fresh air.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I get head aches from numerous episodes, from car wrecks , to motorcycle racing, sports, drinking too much in younger years, years of construction work, and old age. My head aches were finally , after every test known to man, diagnosed as tension head aches.

they come from my neck. I now take botox injections in my neck. Botox is a muscle relaxant . It has cured my head aches. I take injections maybe twice a year depending on the dosage of botox. Might be something to discuss with your Dr. Been a life saver for me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Christopher,
I am no doctor or AA trapshooter. But I have tried to introduce a lot of young and old new shooters to the clay targets.
Do whatever it takes to get yourself some 7\8 loads. Order online if you have to and if your state will allow it. UPS will bring them right too you. Remington has a 1200 fps in 7\8 gun club now.
The euro brands almost all offer one. I have used the Fiocchi, Noble Sport and the B&P. All work. They might not cycle the comp 1100 if it has the Pro Bore oversize.
But they will cycle a reg rem 1100 if its clean and lubed with Breakfree CLP. No issue in your OU.
Stay away from the high speed stuff (1250 and above).
Until you are on the back yardage at handicap you will not be giving up a lot of targets. You will notice the difference right away in the recoil. If you video your shooting with the two choices of ammo you will see your head movement in slo mo.
I have done this with the younger athletes I work with. I am convinced the lighter loads make it easier to learn the smooth move needed to break targets.
I am also aware of the doubters. Try three or four cases of the lighter loads. At most it will cost you a buck or two more per box plus shipping over walmart pricing. You will then know if you need the recoil device. If you are trapshooting you can afford it. COmpared to medical bills its cheap.
Trust me the 24 grams will break the clay. Watch a Youtube video of a bunker trap match. IN the hands of a good shooter they are deadly.
Concussion injury is no joke. Take the measures to protect your health. Not many people shooting with out eyes and ears now because we know better. Same goes for high recoil\acceleration repeated activity if you are already dealing with past injury.
Have fun breaking clay.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I have spent many years working on getting rid of recoil. The only guns that almost completely eliminate recoil are the Browning Recoiless, and the Ljutic Spacegun. And I've owned both. But, the Browning has a rotten trigger (very slow) and the Spacegun is ugly. The best other than those two has been my present Ljutic Mono with a PFS, 1/2" pitch insert, release trigger, and a new air recoil pad. Oh, and 1oz loads. that pretty much eliminated 60% of the recoil. But, then I just bought another Spacegun, even though there ugly.....LOL

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Christopher,

First off thank you for your service, Semper Fi

I have had a fair share of concussions, = playing sports and some Motocross.

Please heed the warning and look deeper into the head aches,, Your body is trying to tell you something.

Yes it may just be softer loads would help,, ( And I would try some ) But head aches are not something to take lightly.

Best of luck man.

DGH

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Years back when I started in trap I was getting serious headaches after shooting 100 rounds at handicap (results bad habits like lifting head ect). Worked on setup, tried different guns (not answer, but sure not a fan of 870, they kick in my opinion). Moved front of comb away from face, lowered front of comb slightly and finally added some pitch (all helped some, pitch is big). Sad part was I had been beat up for so long that the bad habits continued. I tried custom stocks, recoil systems, all helped some but finally went to a Precision Fit Stock. With the PFS my shooting improved lot (put fun back in the game for me) and only reason I'm still shooting today. Shoot lighter loads, you don't need anything over 1125 to 1200 fps, this includes 7/8, 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. I have won more with 1 oz 1180fps loads than I have with 1 1/8oz 1200fps, why because I stay in the gun better. My humble advise solve this problem soon or it will destroy you for life with bad habits.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Lots of good advice here. Obviously not something to be taken lightly.

Good luck moving forward.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drew Hause, who gave advice and information above, is a physician specializing in internal medicine. Internists tend to be the best trained diagnosticians in my opinion. Dr. Hause never toots his own horn nor does he tout his medical expertise. If you are going to accept any of the advice given here I'd encourage you to accept that of Dr. Hause. JPM

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: One other thing to check is your teeth. Go to the dentist and get a checkup. You maybe aggravating a nerve in your jaw that is causing the headaches. I have a friend who is a pistol shooter and when we shot our open guns(really loud pistols) he would get a headache. He went to the dentist and had a bad filling that needed a root cannel. Just another thing to look at. Thanks, Eric

1 - 20 of 46 Posts