Trapshooters Forum banner

Shotgun cartridge reloading in trouble in Australia

2104 14
Hi all,
Until recently we had a company making shotgun powder (AS30 and AS50 - double based powders which were replaced by a single based powder APS350 and there was supposed to be a slower APS 450 which never showed up). The company has decided to cease production of shotgun powders.

I understand AS30 and AS50 were sold in the US as Red Dot and Green Dot but I could be wrong there.

Apparently it is very difficult to ship powders around the world and as far as I know there are no alternatives available.

Winchester used to make shotgun shells here, but gave up production a while ago and now sells imported 'Winchester' shells - so no chance of sourcing powder there. There are no other large scale shotgun cartridge makers currently operating in Australia.

So Australian shotgun reloaders will be in trouble when their stocks of powder run out (shops have long been out of shotgun powders).

I also understand this will impact pistol reloaders.

I hope that somebody will import some powder, but reloading isn't big here (you don't really save much at all by reloading), so the economics are against us.

I enjoy reloading and making shells which perform how I like - sadly, it looks like reloading may be dying here...

Cheers
Mike
Reactions: Pull & Mark
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Isn't it all about burn rate? If so, a comparable burn rate to red dot via some other powder that is available might be suitable. Of course pressure and speed tests would be required. I wonder if that's available there. I know it is here in the US because I've had it done a couple of times. What powders are available?

· Premium Member
8,103 Posts
AS30 and AS50 were marketed in the US as Clays and International Clays. When the plant burned down, the US importer, Hodgdon, shifted production to a General Dynamics plant in Canada. After the fire and rebuilding in Aus, they never restarted production of the previous powders.

Looks like the tide will turn and the Australian reloaders will have to rely on powders produced in North America. It's hard to contemplate exporting powders with them being in short supply across the board state-side. As a fellow reloader, you have my sympathy and I feel your pain.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nebs for the clarification.....I thought AS30 & AS50 were exported but got the overseas name wrong (Clays & International Clays, not Red & Green Dot)....

Myself & fellow reloaders would be glad of any powder, but I'm not holding my breath (I gather that even if it were possible to get powder from the US, International shipping costs a fortune).

Cheers
Mike

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Just wondering.and NOT well informed.
Has this anything to do with the gun bans and gun confiscation (if that is the right term) that happened years ago in Australia? Did the shooting sports suffer members then? Again...not well informed.

I remember seeing a photo of a mountain of guns being destroyed. I remember because there was a '86 Winchester on the top of the pile....it hurt my heart!
Jim

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again,
Shotgun reloader: while I haven't really paid much attention, I believe the rifle powders made by ADI are generally available..such as AR2206; AR2208; AR2209 etc. As far as I understand, none are suitable for shotgun, but would be happy to be corrected!

Jim: I don't believe Aussie gun laws have any role to play in the shortage of shotgun powders. To clarify the legal situation here - there really isn't a heavy regulatory burden for clay target shooters....getting a licence isn't particularly onerous (as long as you have a clean history) and possessing a break-open type shotgun falls into the lowest regulatory category. You need a valid reason to own any gun / rifle and being a member of a club is sufficient reason to own a break-open shotgun. Quite a different thing regarding semi auto shotguns - they are in a different category and, unless you have a special reason, aren't able to be purchased / owned.
A quite perverse outcome of the big changes to gun laws after the Port Arthur massacre was an increase in gun club membership (as being a club member was/is a valid reason for possessing certain firearms). Club membership in Australia is higher than it has ever been - having said that, there are still groups arguing that no civilian should have a firearm - thankfully they don't have the power to implement their wishes. Funny what some people think is bad...I recently read about some of the 'problems' with our gun laws - one being that children as young as 12 could shoot at a range - that sounds like a good thing to me, not something to be 'fixed'.
Anyway, rant over!
Cheers
Mike

· Premium Member
8,103 Posts
Thanks for this info...worth checking out.
Cheers
Mike
I'm not sure how the burn rate chart is relevant to any issue in the thread. It's difficult if not impossible to draw any conclusions regarding whether one powder can serve as a substitute for another by referring to the burn rate chart. And, as a general rule, you can't use powders suitable only for rifle cartridges in shotgun shells. Maybe I'm just not following this closely enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.