Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several posts here lately about blowups prompted me to do some research via Google.
I didn't realize barrel bursts were so common. I was on a weekly summer league involving 50 shooters for 15 years and never witnessed one.
Anyway...the articles that I read suggest that its all but impossible for a modern shotgun barrel to burst due to a defective shell.
Almost always obstructions is what I'm reading.
So.. This means to me nearly all barrel bursts could be avoided with a peek down the barrel?
Pretty easy with a break open at least.
I'm working it into my routine to protect myself and others.

Bill

·
Registered
193 Posts
The previous owner of my Ljutic blew the barrel.. not sure how, most people at my club say choke or obstruction. That's why my used Ljutic has a new barrel

·
Well known trouble maker
2,730 Posts
The previous owner of my Ljutic, forum member Beretta Young Gun, put a bulge in the barrel and had a new barrel put on at Ljutic.

Subsequently I blew out the end of that barrel and the gun is back at Ljutic getting its third barrel.
2013-12-22 22.00.41.jpg

All I can hope it the third time is the charm!

461 Posts
Barrel burst are different from blow-ups. Conventional wisdom is barrel burst are caused by barrel obstructions. I don't know of any reason not to believe that conventional wisdom.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If everybody will remember after sept 11 the saying was if you see something say something , the people I shoot with say if you hear something say something . My point is if a shell does not sound right ask the shooter to look through the barrel to make sure there is no obstruction. This is for the shooters safety as well as yours . We will ask you to do the check nicely and offer to help you in anyway we can .

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Barrel burst are different from blow-ups. Conventional wisdom is barrel burst are caused by barrel obstructions. I don't know of any reason not to believe that conventional wisdom.
obstructed barrel..barrel blows up or bursts. Please elaborate on the "conventional wisdom" statement. The tests that were done by Tom Roster under contract by Remington showed modern barrels staying intact at 50,000 psi without obstructions.
Bill

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know that I am not the only one who has watched Frank Little's DVD. He would blow down the barrel after EVERY shot. Smoke comes out of the barrel=no obstruction. Everyone of us that has done much reloading has had both light powder drops and heavy powder drops and not had our barrels bulge or blow up. I am awful curious about the detonation theory and curious as what will cause detonation. For those that have been stocking up on more powder than they should be. Will the powder deteriorate in time and do they risk having a detonation due to the powder breaking down over time? A topic of discussion at the gun club Saturday concerning Ljutics was that after market chokes were to blame for the ends of Ljutic barrels coming apart. Right or wrong I think that barrel obstructions are the cause of the majority of the bulges/blow-ups. Does not matter if it is reloaded ammo or brand new. Five years ago everyone was saying not to reload the new AA's because the base wad was coming loose and causing blow-ups. If in doubt, check your barrel.

Jim Bradbury

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Bruce Bowen has been trying to blow up a single barrel H & R for years and has never gotten the job done. He has stuck everything down the barrel and tried loads as strong as he can make.

I have no idea why this is in bold letters?

Ajax

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
Bruce Bowen has been trying to blow up a single barrel H & R for years and has never gotten the job done. He has stuck everything down the barrel and tried loads as strong as he can make.

I have no idea why this is in bold letters?

Ajax
I remember that. They kept overloading it and stuffing stuff in the Barrel. Last I heard they were still trying!

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Look at the picture of the blown gun. Does anyone really think that is caused by an obstructed barrel? That level of damage can only be caused by detonation just like a bomb. If you have ever heard one blow, you know the difference between a shell firing and one detonating. It is like night and day .

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Look at the picture of the blown gun. Does anyone really think that is caused by an obstructed barrel? That level of damage can only be caused by detonation just like a bomb. If you have ever heard one blow, you know the difference between a shell firing and one detonating. It is like night and day .
Hell has frozen over.:c-yes4:

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Doc,
Do you think that the Ljutic could be possessed by demons? The third
time is the charm or it could be three strikes and you're out? HMB

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there is a blockage right in front of the chamber doesn't the chamber explode (detonate) like in these photos?

Bill

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Bill,
In that case the chamber can bulge or split wide open to relieve the excess pressure. An explosion or detonation
is a totally different animal involving a super sonic shock wave which causes extensive damage to the gun. HMB

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bill,
In that case the chamber can bulge or split wide open to relieve the excess pressure. An explosion or detonation
is a totally different animal involving a super sonic shock wave which causes extensive damage to the gun. HMB[/QUOTEHmb..Assuming you are correct, what would be the cause of the detonation?
If its defective powder wouldn't every shell in the batch detonate?

Bill

1 - 20 of 165 Posts