Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
091616.jpg

I was taking pictures last night trying to get a shot of a bird breaking just as it crossed the moon...that would have been an awesome pic but never did. When looking back through my pics I noticed this so thought I'd ask...Is that the elusive shot string or just blowing smoke? You can see the string just in-front of the wad and it looks as if it just started pushing the bird up but it has not yet broke apart. Sorry for the poor quality, I have cropped and enlarged the pic to show the string...or smoke?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Hard to say, muzzle smoke does appear to be sort of a flattened out "V" shape. But\and the ???able smoke\shot string does look kinda long. Nice photo, trap house with thick poured concrete roof sure reminds me of my old club, still enjoy going there when we are "back home". Ross Puls

P.M. me club location if you would. Thanks

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Standing straight behind the shooter the shot string won't show up in a picture.
Many times, I can see the shot with my eyes "standing straight behind the shooter..." so I don't know why it wouldn't "...show up in a picture", but I freely admit, I do not know the limitations of a camera.

In fact, at night under the lights, it's very easy to see the shot. I'm pretty sure that in the above picture, that small "cloud" you see between the wad and the target is the shot string (picture quality leads to uncertainty).

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I would say shot string. I also would say this barrel is ported. That is some pretty good lighting I might add. Looks to me like you can see the reflecting shot pellets as a streak right before the target. Neat Picture!

How does smoke get in front of the wad?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Is this a theory or do you have proof?
You can see the shot from straight behind the shooter looking down the barrel but you can't see the shot string or see how long the shot string is. You can see the the shot charge until it spreads out and disappears.

A shot string is the distance from the front pellets to the back pellets.

I took this picture standing off to the side and a little higher than the shooter. You can see the shot has started to string out length wise but it disappears in a very short distance. If I took this picture looking straight down the barrels you would just see the shot not the shot string. Like when you shoot paper you see the pattern not the string.

·
Registered
214 Posts
this could start a very long discussion . I can see the shot if the light is right but not all the time shot string has to be very short ,only inches, at the distances we break targets

1 - 18 of 18 Posts