Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click on the link to see how long a shot string really is. Interesting stuff.

I went out and shot sporting clays yesterday for the first time, and found this video while I was looking for other videos on sporting clays tips.

Several of us were diehard trapshooters, and we had a ball shooting this game. Harv

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Mr Ash is demonstrating that it is not possible for a man to move a barrel faster than the shot exits. Neil Winston showed that a 1200 fps load leaves a 30" barrel about 3.5 milliseconds after ignition. Shooting at water, or a paper target, AT AN ANGLE does not show shot stringing; it shows the pattern diameter.

Ed Lowry, ballistician and the director of research at Olin-Winchester, used spark shadowgraphs to visualize the shot string (elongation of the shot swarm) in "The Effect of a Shotstring" American Rifleman, November 1979

407614953.jpg

Bob Brister used a target moving at 90 degrees being towed by his wife behind their station wagon.

Reactions: BENCHREST

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nothing about that demonstration made sense with respect to gauging shot string length and/or pattern distribution.

Burrus(SP) with rotating cylinder and even Bob Bristers towed trailer with 10 feet of butcher paper gave Measurable results.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Are we talking about the same shot stringing that this guy is? I think not.

Shot stringing is done longitudinally as the shot leaves the barrel. I've got a print out (can't give ya the url right now) where Federal done some extensive shotshell studies on patterning and shot string length. 30" shot string length (front to back) and more is pretty typical at 35-40 yards for most scatterguns.

This guy is trying to 'sling' shot, not string it.

Unless you posted the wrong youtube video, this guy is nuts, and I have never heard people saying what he said about "slinging" shot

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
A study regarding both pattern spread and shot string from 1887 using a rotating cylinder

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
He is not saying there is no such thing as shot string but that you can do nothing to affect it once the trigger is pulled. Popcorn time. Jeff

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Well unless you are one of those people (or even if you are) that think that nice flat pancake pattern you see in pictures or on the pattern board is what you are shooting. Just try shooting a foot or so ahead of a moving tgt --then shoot a foot behind a moving tgt then come back and tell me which one broke. Ross Puls

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The video showed the shot cloud hitting and skipping or streaking across the water before being stopped by friction.

I have never believed in a shot string, a cloud yes that changes shape sometimes looking like a potato. All the slow motion film I've seen supports the cloud theory.

Your on Neil.

Surfer

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Shot string certainly exists, and Gil's video made no attempt to say otherwise.

Shot string is also virtually meaningless in any kind of practical trapshooting application, because of its high speed relative to that of the target's.

Watch this video and pay attention and you will understand.

-Gary

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Surfer, this potato-shaped shot cloud you believe in. Do you see it on water the way Gil ran his initial test, with a motionless gun? In other words, what are we seeing there? Specifically. For example, when the shot cloud first meets the water, what's happening? How about at the far end of the trace on the water?

Neil

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
What we see is the shot pattern hitting the water at an angle which makes it appear longer than it is. The pattern on the water represents a cylinder(the shot string) passing through a plane(the water) at an angle. The lower the angle, the longer the appearance. The more elliptical, top to bottom, the pattern the longer the appearance on the surface of the water.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
That's what I was getting at, Jim. There are a lot of people who think that the trace on the water has something to do with the shot string, but really it's the opposite, what they see is the effect of shot diameter. It's the bottom part of the pattern, not the most-forward part, that hits the water closest to the shooter and it's the top part of the pattern that hits last.

Imagine that I could make a choke that worked perfectly and lined all the pellets right behind each other. That's the longest shot string in the world. Now let's shoot that at water. All we see is one pellet-sized hole where they all went in, one after the other.

So the longest possible shot string has a water trace of about a pellet long and wide. So it's not shot string that you see (though it sure looks like it!)

Neil

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Rick,

My sling comment referred to what the dude in the OP's video was trying to do. He was talking "shot string" but was more like trying to sling the shot by waving the gun real fast while firing. Shot string has nothing to do with whether you are moving the gun while firing.

I truly think a lot of people are clueless on what shot string is, and it's pretty apparent in some of these replies.

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
It's all bullshit. The only thing you should care about is that you put part of the "pattern" on the target. No one needs to know much about what the pattern looks like.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Gary, I never said there is no shot string. In fact, the target-break videos Ron Baker and I made show clearly that there _is_ a shot string and we talked about it a lot in the text which went with those videos

All I said was that what you see on water when you shoot at it at a low angle - that thing that sure _looks_ like a shot string - isn't one. It is instead an expression of the width of the pattern, not the shot string length.

The rest of what you wrote

"Neil states shot string is a pellet wide and a pellet long, the 5th graders is going to tear Neil and his digistations Engineers Up on this one."

just shows that you didn't get part of my post at all. What I was saying is that the longest shot string in the world - one pellet after the other - would produce not a "string" on the water, but a single hole. That demonstrates that what you see on the water when you do the experiment is not the shot string.

That's' all.

Neil

·
Registered
569 Posts
The shot string is shorter than you think, but longer than you thought? I'm confused. I'm also looking for an airplane that goes 18000 mph. Dan

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
That's easy, Dan. I used to think that shot strings were short, but now I realize that they are long and in fact I now think they are longer than they actually are. Thus. . .

"Shot strings are shorter than I think, but longer than I thought."

I just wonder how Gary knew that.

Respectfully,

Neil

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Neil.
I don't think what you see when you shoot on water is a shot string, it's just an elongated shot cloud slightly turned on its axis which makes it appear denser and somewhat longer when it disturbs the water on impact.

One of the clubs where I shoot has shot curtians. Watching the patterns when they strike the curtain from all angles gives a lot of good information how the cloud flies particulary at long distant and further dispels the string theory

Surfer

1 - 20 of 49 Posts